John Bradbury's Investigations.
An object of attention by the early scientists of St. Louis was Sulphur Springs. This was in the valley of the River des Peres, not far from what became Cheltenham. When John Bradbury, the English naturalist, decided to make his home in St. Louis, he built his house near this spring. The members of Long's expedition found Bradbury living there in 1819. They included mention of the water in their report to the government. At that time horses and cattle at pasture went a long distance to drink the sulphur water in preference to any other. When thirty rears later the Missouri Pacific began building westward there was a station at Sulphur Springs. A wooden hotel was built and a resort was maintained. The spring boiled up in the channel of the River des Peres. When that stream became an open sewer, as the city extended westward the spring was polluted, and the use of its water was abandoned. John Bradbury made expedition: with the fur traders and trappers. He brought back to St. Louis marvelous stories about animals along the Missouri.
|Bibliography||Oral history||Recorded history||Photos|
|YOUR page||External links||Walking Tour|