By Father P.J. O'Connor
Below, on this page are pages 80-102. For the rest of the book go to:
arranged for the erection of a monument before his death, a figure of Christ, which he intended should perpetuate his homage and be a profession of the faith in which He died, "Blessed be Jesus Christ, true God and true Man."
Best Place to Stand
To obtain a good view of the interior of the church, the best place to stand is directly in front of the gate entering the Sanctuary, from this place the visitor will be impressed with the elegance of the architecture and the harmony and beauty of the color scheme.
Style of Architecture
The architecture is 11th Century Gothic, a period when decorations were introduced into this style of architecture in England and Ireland, and craftsmanship in glass, wood, iron, and stone was more emphasized than it was in the preceding period when perfection in engineering, massiveness of towers and solidity in buttresses were the aim of the architect, examples of the latter style may be seen in the churches erected at Our Lady of Lourdes, Holy Rosary and St. Luke's parishes.
Worm Holes and Artists
A laudable effort to reproduce a parish church of ancient times induced the architect to use Chestnut that is perforated with worm holes, electric fixtures that are mottled, limestone that is stained and Mankatoe rock that shows ravelled depressions and shriveled features. The effort to be antique has its disadvantages as well as it aesthetic worth and it takes more than a minute to educate a community into the artistic value of a worm hole or a ravelled stone surface; to plain people a hole is a sign of deterioration and a stain, an unwelcome intrusion of foreign matter; an observer has been heard to remark, "Father O'Connor sure got gypped in that wood," and many others have expressed a hope that the stain would in time bleach out of the stone; the criticism may not be entirely unmerited, an accurate resemblance to an ancient grand-father is not always an attraction, though from an artist's standpoint, a perfect reproduction of the venerable man is a title to fame.
THE DIAMOND JUBILEE MEMORIAL
A stage and shrines have been constructed in the school yard by the Engineer Corps as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee.
The masonry is very beautiful. The shrine was planned mostly by John Kosulandich and his son, John, assisted by Gus Blazich, Mat Manestar, John lvannovich and John Clark. They worked on it Saturdays and their labor was gratis. They were assisted by their fellow countrymen, whose homeland is Yugoslavia. These men have reason to be proud; their creation is beautiful and the parish is grateful
These are the men who give free manual labor in improving and repairing Parish property. During the years of the depression they saved the church considerable expense of operation. I regret time does not permit me to give their names. Among them are carpenters, steam fitters, painters, electricians, plumbers, plasterers, bricklayers, stonemasons, men who can dig, sweat, work overtime and rush the job. There is not a slouch among them. I almost forgot the tinners.
The parish owes them a debt of gratitude for the permanent improvement they made in the schoolyard over a period of years. James Brady, a carpenter, and son of a charter member of the parish is now the "Captain:" He succeeded the late Ed. Cody.
William Meehan never could be gotten to accept the honor of being "Boss" but all the members know he has been since he came to the parish head, neck, heels and heart in everything.
This is very incomplete. I cannot help it because I am being rushed by the printer, but I must mention a few of the names of the Engineer Corps that were here 25 years ago and who are dead; Patrick J. Ludden, Officer Ed. Dwyer, Officer Peter Dolan, William O'Gorman, Martin Moore, James McEvoy, and Thomas Duggan. There were others whom I cannot recall at the moment. They
served faithfully and well at a time when the pariah was struggling with great effort to maintain the parochial school. The early Dominican nuns were never done praising them. May they rest in peace.
THE DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATION
Plans for the celebration of the Diamond jubilee were completed before this book went to press. The celebration is to open on Friday, June 4, the Feast of the Sacred Heart (Children's Day) with a High Mass at 7:30 a.m. at which the Patrician Choir will sing the Mass. The Mass shall be offered for the intention that the children of the Parish shall persevere in the faith. The children will go to Communion in a body and be given a holiday.
On the following day there will be a Requiem High Mass at 7.30 for the Souls of the deceased former priests, nuns, and parishioners.
On Sunday, the final day of the celebration, there will be a general Communion of members of the parish at the various Masses.
A Solemn High Mass at 10:00 o'clock, Missa (Angelus Domini) Liturgical Mass "E" flat by Peter Volpe, at which time the Jubilee Sermon will be preached by: Rev. John Lonergan, Pastor of Saint Cronan's Church.
Celebrant: Very Rev. Msgr. Geo. J. Donnelly, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.
Deacon: Rev, William H. Reeves, S. T. L. Pastor of Our Lady Help of Christians.
Sub-Deacon: Rev. Anthony A. Palumbo, a boy from the parish, Assistant Pastor of St. Ambrose Church.
First Master of Ceremonies: Rev. George P. Keating, Pastor of Saints Mary and Joseph's Church.
Second Mater of Ceremonies: Rev. Robert McKeon, Assistant Pastor of St. Mark's Church.
ST. JAMES PARISH
In parish life there is continuity of spirit thing else that makes a parish like a person; a touch here and there of high principle, a hesitancy, conservatism or the opposite; a maturity or inexperience, a blotch or infinity, an ugliness matched with strength and beauty. What is the character of this parish of St. James?
I have found the parishioners patient with me and kind beyond measure. This has made me always repentant of the many irritating things said and done to members of the flock. I think I would not have been as explosive as I have been on occasions of rush if I had not a subconscious feeling that the people on whom I "let loose my spleen" would make allowance for my infirmities. I don't think I was ever ugly to a person f did not like.
Though the people of St James Parish are of moderate means, their contributions to the church have been generous. The parishioners give of their own free will. A collector for the parish has not gone to anyone's door in the past twenty years. There are free pews,
few money talk; lists of contributors have not been published; yet there have been sufficient fund's to meet the operating expenses of the parish, maintain a free school and build a church that cost over $216.000.00.
The debt on the church at present, is $35,000.00, and as payments on the balance are extended over the next fifteen years, there is no anxiety about our ability to meet the bonds.
The present need, however, is very pressing
CROWNING OF THE STATUE
Top Row: Rosemary Hasty, Miss Gloria Duggan, Miss Helen Frances Walsh, Miss Anna Dempsey.
Bottom Raw: Miss Mary Ellen Griffin, Miss Dolores Kuhlman, Miss Dorothy Beinecke.
sing and the "big noise" that is being made about the Diamond Jubilee has an ulterior motive. The parishioners and pastors are pledged to build a Convent within two years that shall cost not less than $25.000.00; the present old shack in which the nuns reside was purchased by the parish thirty-five years ago for $1950.00 (a donation from Mrs. Boland). The reserve fund accumulated for a convent amounts to $10,000.00. We do not intend placing more debt on the parish. The move is on for $15,000.00, The Carnival that is set for June 17, 18, and 19, to be held at 6800 Oakland Avenue, should net $5,000.00; that is if the parishioners and Alumni Association put on speed. Again, I repeat the parish slogan, "Let's Go."
P. J. O'Connor, Pastor.
OUR SISTERS, GOD BLESS THEM!
Fortunately for St. James Parish, the nuns, who were first assigned to it, interpreted their obligation in accordance with the needs of the Parish. On their arrival they not only devoutly assisted at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass but took a zealous interest in all that pertained to its proper solemnity. They began to make cassocks and surplices for the altar boys, to patch up vestments that were threadbare; to make Communion and Altar Breads and supervise the decorations and linens that were used in the Sanctuary; they drilled the children for parish plays and entertainments and incidentally by this means, made it possible for the pariah to give them a sustenance.
PROCESSION AND CROWNING OF BLESSED VIRGIN MOTHER'S DAY
From Left to Right: Miss Mary Ellen Griffin, Miss Gloria Duggan, Miss Dorothy Bienecke, Miss Helen Frances Walsh, Miss Anna Dempsey, Miss Rosemary Hasty.
Front Row: Mary Alice Morkoetter, Emma Harnes, Margaret O'Donnell, Catherine Kearney, Margaret Hart, Mary Ellen McVey, Loretta Schinsky, Catherine Lafaer, Marjorie Houlihan, Genevieve Brady.
Second Row: Marion Mergenthaler, Helen Roach, Marie Dwyer, Elizabeth Walsh, Catherine Corbett, Margaret Spain, Mary Jane Lossos, Margaret Morrissey, June Haenichen, Georgiana Diefenbach, Helen Bonskowski, Celeste Riegel, Mary Jane Moulden, Audrey Hruby, Theresa Roach, Mary Jane Meyer, Geneva Miller.
Third Row: Joseph Eichner, John Murphy, James McMahon, William Godfrey, James Walsh, James O'Shaughnessy, Walter Loeblein, Robert Marshall, Lawrence Schieber, David Saxton.
Fourth Row: John Vorbeck, Robert Dolan, Anthony Mirrelli, Robert Baerveldt, Owen Thompson, Louis Santambrogio, William Cumberland, Vernon Page, John Weaver, William Flanagan.
DIAMOND JUBILEE COMMUNION CLASS
Front Row: Dorothy Mirrelli, Alberta Schweitzer, Caroline Schweitzer, Theresa Moellenback, Marcella Gamoluh, Bernice Dyer, Armida Schwalbe, Patricia McMahon, Patricia Jones, Theresa Gatton, Elizabeth Scherziner, Grace Bartolotta, Mary Catherine Dolan.
Second Row: Joseph Vorbeck, Thomas Placke, Lloyd Miller, Jacques Nischwitz, Robert Hruby, David Walsh, Lawrence Brownfield, Hugh McVey, Richard Timmer, Norman Friedrich, Walter Stevenson, Robert Timmer, Patsy Brazell.
Third Row: Francie Richard, Fehicia Bartolotta, Rosalie Cunetto, Alice Pass, Mary Kaiser, Dolores Kruse, Elda Clivio, Shirley Lasley, Eleanor Pozaric, Shirley Hess, Dolores Mae Kuhlmann, Patricia Finn.
Fourth Row: Harry Fisher, George Clegg, Robert Lommen, Eugene McEvoy, Anton Paintner, William Burch, John Billings, John Nowak, David Coad, John Clisham, Thomas Schieber, Marcel Kaiser, Frank Pilla, Robert Perkins.
Fifth Row: Charles Maltagliati, Ernest Garut, Kenneth Homo, Ernest Frattini, Vincent Cunetto, Zdenko Pozaric, Victor Bafaro, John Bruce, Roger McCoy, Stephen Domijan, Cornelius Riordan, Thomas Phillips, Hazel Westfall.
Their interest in the children did not cease with the gong that called for the closing of the school. They took an interest in their home life and often out of their slim means, provided the poorest of them with shoes and clothes and books, sometimes going so far as even to find work for those that were in the graduating class; they visited the sick, consoled the dying, and prayed for all, hence the names of Sisters Catherine, Louis and Loyola are held in benediction by the people of the parish.
The nuns at present in charge have continued the tradition and their willingness to cooperate in parish activities has not diminished, though, perhaps, the needs of the parish are not as great as they were in former years.
The school entertainment is not necessary to provide the school teachers' salary, the parish treasury is sufficiently strong to defray the expense of the school, but the extraordinary work of the sisters has not ceased. Day after day their helpfulness in things is noted by priests and parishioners, and their silent work goes on in their convent and chapel with the same zeal and fervor as if there were no parochial distractions; their salary has not been materially increased in many years, they have to practice economy in their home life and usually are necessitated to do the work of their kitchen. They never complain or get weary, their life is a sermon in work and in word. One of the greatest boons that has been conferred in St. James was given the day when the Dominican Sisters were given charge of the parochial school
GIRLS FORMERLY OF THE PARISH WHO BECAME NUNS
|ORIGINAL NAME -- NAME AS A NUN||CONVENT|
|Loretta Devlin -- (?)||(?)|
|Marie Boland -- Sister Marie Antonie (deceased)||Sacred Heart|
|Catherine Cooney -- Sister Juliana||Mercy|
|Anna Connors -- Sister Mary John||Mercy|
|Josephine Morrissey -- Sister Mary Austin||Mercy|
|Ella Morrissey -- Sister Incarnata||Mercy|
|Irene Barr -- Sister Irene Ann (deceased)||Charity|
|Louise Charleville -- Sister Rose Martin||St. Mary's|
|Lorraine Lutz -- Sister Maurine||St. Mary's|
|Ollie Bisso -- Sister Alvita||St. Mary's|
|Marie Ryan -- Sister Blanche Edward||St. Mary's|
|Ruth McKenna -- Sister Therese||Carmelite|
|Ida Murphy -- Sister Berenice||Dominican|
|Hazel Schmitt -- Sister Rose Miriam||Dominican|
|Parthenia Pate -- Sister Parthenia||Dominican|
|Loretta Pate -- Sister Audrey||Dominican|
|Helen Oates -- Sister Matthew||Dominican|
|Catherine Mahon -- Sister Kathleen||Dominican|
|Irene Valler -- Sister Ancilia||Dominican|
|Mary Lawless -- Sister Delphine||Dominican|
|Eleanor Lindauer -- Sister Herbert||Dominican|
|Agnes Duggan -- Sister Thomas More||Dominican|
|Loretta Maloney Sister Mary Winifred||St. Joseph|
|Julia Lynch -- Sister Maureen||St. Joseph|
|Margaret Smith -- Sister Mary Assumpta (deceased)||St. Joseph|
|Antoinette Palumbo -- Sister Antonia||St. Joseph|
|Rosemary Kelly -- Sister St. Ann||St. Joseph|
|Catherine White -- Sister Mary of St. Michael||Good Shepherd|
|Leola Shaffrey -- Sister Mary of St. Domitilla||Good Shepherd|
|Corinne Witte -- Sister Mary of Ligouri||Good Shepherd|
|Gertrude Stoverink -- Sister Bertille||Notre Dame|
|Helen Hazlette -- Sister Vivienne||Notre Dame|
|Bernadine Kostelnik -- Sister Mary Conrad||Notre Dame|
Those pictured here with Father 0'Connor are Mr. J.A. Quinn, who, with his wife, Mrs. Quinn, donated the stations of the Cross to St. James Church; Henry Nebuloni, who broke three records in the athletic contest held at the Christian Brothers campus in June, 1936; Miss Mary Catherine McGrath, a former pupil of the Ursuline Academy, who won the oratorical contest of the Catholic High Schools of Archdiocese of St. Louis in 1932, and Miss Rita Ward, also a parishioner and an Ursuline graduate who won the same contest in 1927.
Front Row: Mary Catherine McGrath, Rita Ward.
Second Row: Henry Nebuloni, John Quinn, Rev. P.J. O'Connor.
Almost every sacred vessel and the missal in the Sanctuary has been donated by Denis A. Merriman and Miss Anna M. Merriman, children of a Charter member of the parish; and the Sanctuary lamp was donated by Mrs. Irene Mills, wife of the eminent physician, the late Dr. Walter Mills.
THE CHOIR FOR THE JUBILEE
The Good Friday Choir will sing the Mass. The members are. Miss Minnie Carreras. Organist, Mrs. Wm. Hefele, Miss Rose Gettinger, Mrs. John McKeon, Mrs. Sam Gittins, Mrs. Frank Walsh, Miss Virginia Pursley, Mrs. Fred Waterhouse, Miss Virginia Bompart, Mr. Charles Heil, Mr. George Jennermann, Mr. Louis Riegel, Miss Helen Richter, Mr. Mario Failoni, Miss Leona Simma, Mrs. William Faherty, Mr. Vic Schultz, Mr. Arch Albert, and Mr. Geo. Shoemaker.
This Choir will entertain during the day in the school yard where there will be held a Home Coming, and a great Social program of singing, dancing and old-time sociability. A chicken dinner will be served at a moderate price. That evening there will be an orchestra, dancing, supper, etc.
The Hon. Senator Bennett Champ Clark has promised to be present, "with the understanding that if anything should come up in the Senate of such public importance as to make it necessary for me to cancel it, you will hold me excused."
The Archbishop has ordinations that day, also Commencement Exercises for the Catholic High Schools. "I will be with ye," he said, "if I am not too tired. Because of my age, I have decided to keep as near to the Altar as I can."
The property owned by St. James Church for parochial purposes covers at least two acres, most of which was donated. The first donation was made by Henry Gratiot, June 11, 1860; This was a piece of property extending 104 feet by 198 on the East Side of Tamm Avenue, from the North Side of the present rectory to Mrs. Moore's property. A few years later he donated another 100 feet by 192 feet to the north, a continuation on the same line. A condition of these deeds was that this property should be used only for Church purposes. In 1890 he made other deeds that eliminating this condition; he did this to enable Father McNamee to sell the ground on which the School and Rectory then were, and the other 50 feet on which the Convent now is to Henry Hart. At that time Father McNamee purchased from Evens and Howard
PARISH ADULT CHOIR
Front Row: Mrs. Wm. Hefele, Miss Rose Gettinger, Miss Minnie Carreras, Organist; Mrs. John McKeon, Director Boys' Choir.
Second Row: Mrs. Sam Gittins, Mrs. Frank Walsh, Miss Virginia Pursley, Mrs. Fred Waterhouse, Miss Virginia Bompart.
Third Row: Miss Lena Fehrenbach, Mr. Charles Heil, Miss Genevieve Mahon, Assistant Organist; Mr. George Jennemann, Mrs. Louis Riegel, Miss Helen Richter.
50 feet by 1 40 on the South line of the property, on which he built the present Rectory. Some years later Father Carey purchased a piece Of ground across the street on Tamm and Wade Avenues. He wanted it to be the site of the school. When Tamm Avenue was made, ten feet were cut off the lot and it became too small for a school.
In 1902 Father Casey requested Doctor Murphy to exchange this lot for one much deeper that Doctor Murphy owned directly north of the Convent 100x192 feet on Tamm Avenue. Doctor Murphy graciously and generously granted the request. His lot was of much more value.
The extent of the school yard up to 1927 was about sufficient to give the pupils standing room. Father O'Connor called a meeting of Dominic Palumbo, Frank Pilla, Luke Thomure, Louis Martin, John Blasitz and told them he needed the rear of their lots for an addition to the yard. Their fine spirit of goodwill manifested itself at once. Instead of raising the price because of the need, they lowered it and gave a half acre of ground to the church for less than a thousand dollars. Mr. Martin was not a Catholic. John Blasitz threw in a strip that straightened the north line and made no charge. At the time, Mr. William Hense, Sr. was active in the interest of the school children and donated $200.00 of the price. The Mothers' Club, under the direction of Mrs. Charles Klasek, and the Holy Name Society made up the balance.
The property of the new church was donated to a great extent by Mr. and Mrs. Macken. Long before the church was built Father O'Connor had his eye on this site. The Mackens resided in St. Rose's Parish and it was thought desirable to conceal from them the wish the Parish had to acquire the property. One day Father O'Connor saw two cottages being constructed at the end of the lot and he immediately got busy. He found Mr. William Boman, a parishioner, had purchased a third lot that ran from Nashville to Wade and had plans drawn for two cottages to be erected thereon. He told him of his desire to purchase the whole piece of ground ad that it would be useless Mr. Boman sold this lot to the church. Again the fine spirit of co-operation prevailed. Mr. Boman deferred building and when Mr. Macken donated his part of the ground, Mr. and Mrs. Boman were willing to give up their two lots without a penny cost to the church. This Father O'Connor would not accept because the Bomans were poor. He compromised by giving them a lot on the same street that faced only Nashville Avenue.
One of the cottages erected on I this ground was purchased by the parish at the time the Church was built at the cost of $3,900.00 and is now acquired by the parish janitor.
REV. JOHN J. LONERGAN, PASTOR ST. CRONAN'S
Father John J. Lonergan, who preached the Diamond Jubilee sermon, was born January 27, 1888, in Templemore, County Tipperary, Ireland. He attended the National School there. He later studied Philosophy at Mount Melleray where he received his B. A. He then came to American and entered Kenrick Seminary where he was ordained June 9, 1911.
His first appointment was assistant at St. Michael's Church, St. Louis, Mo., where he remained four years. In 1915 he was appointed chaplain in the U.S. army and served in Mexico for about one year. On his return to St. Louis he acted as assistant at Cathedral Parish until 1924. He was assigned Pastor at Chaffee, Mo., and served there until September 7, 1931, when he was appointed successor to Rev. Jeremiah Foley, deceased, at St. Cronan's.
Father Lonergan has received many distinctions in the Archdiocese. He is one of the Synodal Examiners and is regarded by his brother priests as a classical scholar of parts. In all matters pertaining to Irish History, he is a living Encyclopedia.
THE AIRLOKT INSULATION COMPANY
In 1933, the Airlokt insulation company was opened at 5867 Manchester Avenue under the competent leadership of Mr. Thomas Orr Daywalt and Geo. W. Gittins of the G. W. G. C. P. Co. The business is in its youth, and like all children has hopes of growing to adulthood very rapidly, and from all records it has nearly reached that stage. Mr. Daywalt manufactures insulation for homes. He has insulated about four hundred homes in the St. Louis area, including St. James Convent and Rectory. With the effervescing attitude of Mr. Daywalt and his untiring efforts, he is sure to make a bigger Airlokt Company in a few years. Mr. Daywalt received his business training in New York City, where he was in the Ball Bearing Business for seven years.
Mr. Daywalt was born in 1894 in Pennsylvania where he attended the Public Schools. Later he attended Penn State College. His father was Daniel Daywalt and his mother, Eliza Kellerman. Mr. Daywalt married Willa Weaver, of Wichita, Kansas, and they have four children, Ruth, Thomas, Mary, and William.
JOHN A. BADENDIECK GROCERY
On March 25, 1912, John A. Badendieck opened the Badendieck Grocery Store at 1903 Knox Avenue. The Badendieck Cigar Manufacturing Company, which originated in 1887 in South St. Louis, was moved to the same address as the Grocery Store in the latter part of 1911. Mr. Badendieck's holiness and piety, reflected in his business, has gained for him a large and satisfied patronage. In the early mornings one can see Mr. Badendieck approaching St. James Church, before tending his business on Knox Avenue. Mr. Badendieck has a well stocked store with both staple and fresh goods.
Mr. Badendieck was born of German parents in Riga, Russia, on August 18, 1865. He was educated in Davenport, Iowa. His father was Ernest Badendieck and his mother, Ernestine Tatch. Mr. Badendieck married Emma Dieckman and they became the fond parents of a family of five: William J., Mary C., John M., Clara E. and Teresa E. He is an active member of the Holy Name Society of St. James Church. His present ambition, toward which he is working very hard, is to get to Heaven.
In his free moments Mr. Badendieck enjoys sitting down and playing tunes on his zither. He also enjoys an outing hunting for ducks, and building houses with his son, John, who is a building contractor.
BEN'S SERVICE STATION
In 1922, Ben C. Brinkmeyer opened Ben’s Service Station at 6201 Manchester Avenue. Mr. Brinkmeyer rendered "real" service to the people of the neighborhood with the sole purpose of making a decent livelihood for his wife, Amelia Rube, and himself. Ben's Station has been a first class service station since its institution. Mr. Brinkmeyer was called by the angel of death on February 10, 1926. From that time, Mrs. Amelia Brinkmeyer has taken charge of the business with the efficient help of G. W. Ruegge, her nephew.
Mrs. Amelia Brinkmeyer was born in Missouri where she attended school. She is a member of the Evangelical Church.
A customer states the politeness of Mrs. Brinkmeyer is unusual, when a machine drives up to her filling station she greets you pleasantly, wipes the windshield and does everything from the inspection of the oil to the changing of a tire. She is as efficient as a man.
WM. BAUER ICE & COAL CO. AND HAULING
In 1933 Mr. William Wallace Bauer established a coal and hauling company. Previous to that time Mr. Bauer was in the fruit and vegetable business. Mr. Bauer operates his business in the eastern section of St. James Parish, at 5931 Dale Avenue but his truck appears all over the parish. In the last four Years Mr. Bauer has established a trade among the people of the neighborhood which has been increasing ever since.
Mr. Bauer was born on February 3, 1910, in St. Louis, Mo. He was educated at the Gratiot School. He is married and has two children, Marjie and Billie. Mr. Bauer's favorite recreation is fishing and hunting.
In 1913, William H. Bissick purchased the Clayton Road Pharmacy, 6336 Clayton Avenue, corner Clayton and Tamm Avenues, from Gus H. Huch, Mr. Huch had formerly operated a store on the southwest corner; having moved his stock from Cheltenham to open the first drug store in the community. Mr. Bissick's ability and skill as a pharmacist have recommended him so favorably that he
now commands a most satisfactory patronage. The store is adequately stoced with all the latest patent medicines, toilet articles, physician's and surgeon's supplies, rubber goods, cigars, candies, etc. Special attention is given to the
accurate physicians' prescriptions, under the personal supervision of Mr. Bissick. He is a registered pharmacist and a competent analytical chemist and has gained quite a reputation in suggesting remedies for colds, sort throats and other ailments. The store stays open from 6:30 A. M. to 10:30 P. M. with free delivery service. Phone, Hiland 6568.
PHIL CHIAURRO COAL AND HAULING COMPANY
The Chiaurro Coal and General Hauling Company at 1329 January Avenue, was organized in April, 1925 at 1312 Louisville Avenue, and later moved to 1019 Tamm Avenue. Phil is to be congratulated on the perseverance and initiative he has used in building this little business for it has been through his sole efforts that any success was achieved. Phil was born on March 17, at 4th and Market. His father is Tony Chiaurro and his mother Rose A. Antonucci. Phil was educated at St. James Parochial School and the George Dewey Public School. He attends St. James Church and is a member of the Italian-American Society. Phil married Vincenza Grandinetti. They are the parents of three children, Rose Marie, Elvira, and Eleanor. Mr. Chiaurro has a very strong ambition to be the owner and operator of a fleet of trucks.
CLEGG AUTO SERVICE
At 6019 Clayton Avenue, near the newly constructed Hampton Boulevard and about a block south of the super-highway in Forest Park, Mr. Anthony Arnold Clegg opened a first-class auto service station in 1933. Mr. Clegg is well known in St. James Parish as he attended the parochial School here. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Clegg. Mr. “Tony” Clegg is descended (on his mother's side) from a family well remembered by many Parishioners, the Grosch family.
Mr. Clegg married Katherine O’Hara, a niece of Officer John O’Hara, and they live at 1529 Tamm Avenue with their two small children, George and Kathleen who attend St. James School.
GEO. L. CODY, PLUMBER
An example of modern efficiency is Geo. L. Cody’s Plumbing Shop on Wheels. Mr. Cody drives his shop right up to your door and has all the necessary tools, equipment and material to complete the job. With this type of service and because he has no high shop rent to pay, he is able to give his customers a first class installation at a reasonable price. He has been operating his business at 6453 Lloyd Avenue in St. James Parish since 1929.
Geo. L. Cody was born at 1223 Childress Avenue in 1903. His father was Edw. D. (Ed) Cody, a well known and beloved member of St. James Parish for many years, whose mild manners and wllingness to be of service endeared him to all who knew him. His mother,Carolhyn Gallahercody, who for many years had a dry goods store on Clayton Road, east of Tamm, will long be remembered by the older Parishioners for her many acts of kindness, her keen business ability and her zeal in parish affairs.
Mr. Cody, a graduate of St. James School, has never lived in any other parish. After his marriage to Challen White, he continued to make his home here. He lives at 6453 Uoyd Avenue has three children, Chatten, Edward and Billy.
CROGHAN UNDERTAKING CO., INC.
Michael J. Croghan owes much of his sucess to an indomitable courage and tenacity. He came to St. Louis from Ireland as a young man about 18 years of age. His father was Matthew Croghan and his mother Ellen Flaningan. He became acquainted with a group of young people in St. James Parish and married one of them, Edna Moran, grand-daughter of Jno. O'Gorman, a charter member of the parish. After trying several lines of business, he decided to take up undertaking and embalming. He opened for business in 1912 at 1528 Tamm Avenue. Having no relatives and few friends to give him a boost, he had to rely largely on himself, He met with reverses after reverses, but each time, with confidence in himself and encouraged by his wife, who worked constantly and untiringly by his side, he was able to come back. He moved to Maplewood May 12, 1916. Finding that he could get more business if he
had a parlor, he built the present building on Manchester just east of the City Limits Loop in 1926. Then began the upward trend. Business continued to increase until he was compelled to convert the upstairs, which he had been occupying as a home, into additional parlors.
The Croghans are the proud parents of eleven fine children, ten of whom attend Catholic schools. They reside at 338 Oakwood Avenue, Webster Groves.
Mr. Croghan is an active member of the Holy Name Society, Knights of Columbus, Moose Optimists Club and Maplewood Chamber of Commerce. His enthusiasm in anything he undertakes and his warm Irish friendliness have won for him many friends.
The Delmonte Market, situated at 1218-20 Tamm Avenue, opened for business in 1934. It is operated by Mr. Sam Movitz, a native of Roumania. Mr. Movitz is the son of Max Movitz. He received his education in the United States. He is married and lives over the store. His wife was Etheyln McCammon. They have one child, Milton, Mr. Movitz' chief interest outside of his business is sports of all kinds.
ALOYSIUS FRANCIS DOLAN
A prominent man in politics today is Aloysius Francis Dolan. He was elected to the office of Constable in November, 1934. Previous to that time he was Vice-president of the John P. Dolan Realty Company.
Mr. Dolan was born in St. Louis, Missouri on July 29, 1889. He attended the Gratiot School, Christian Brothers College, and Notre Dame University. He is the son of the late John P. and Elizabeth Kenny Dolan. Mr. Dolan is married and has six children, three boys and three girls, John, Robert, Agnes, Thomas, Mary Catherine, and Patricia. His wife is Verda Hense, the daughter of the late William H. Hense, who opened the William H. Hense & Sons Grocery Store at Wise and Tamm Avenues. Mr. Dolan is active in the Holy Name and St. Vincent de Paul Societies of St. James Parish. He is also a member of the DeSoto Council of the Knights of Columbus. Mr. Dolan also served in the World Way, being in active service, and was wounded in action.
Mr. Dolan's father started the John P. Dolan Realty Company which opened its doors to business in 1909 at 6403 Manchester Avenue. The business is still operating at the Manchester Avenue address with the present officers, Ray R. Dolan, Dan Sheehan and A. F. Dolan. The first officers were John P. Dolan and Thos. M. O'Gorman. The late John P. Dolan was constable of the same district that Aloysius “Ollie” Dolan is now serving which is in the Ninth District. Incidentally, “Ollie” Dolan is the first Democratic Constable since his father held the office thirty-five years ago.
DOLAN REALTY CO.
Founder of Present-Day Firm Started Out As Rural Hotel Keeper
That the old Clifton Heights house, a Manchester Road tavern erected in 1894 would eventually be engulfed by expansion of the city on whose outskirts it lay, and its mode of business altered until the original founder would hardly recognize the country landmark which has been modernized through the years. probably never occurred to John P. Dolan, proprietor and founder of the small rural hotel. That he lived to see the change and be constantly delighted by the swift turn of events is probably as remarkable as the transition which changed the sprawling city to a virile metropolis, reaching in all directions as its borders expanded under the pressure of increased population.
John P. Dolan, as proprietor of a country tavern, was unmoved by the course of events until his clientele, formerly a group of farmers who made the Clifton Heights house an overnight stop on the way to St. Louis gradually were replaced by neighbors who dropped in during the evening to enjoy the companionship offered by nightly gatherings. Unforeseen to the proprietor, these gatherings were to lead to the founding of a loan firm and the establishment of a real estate business.
Dolan expanded with the times. Individuals coming to him for loans on business property and for personal debts were certain to find him open-minded. The largeness of his generosity became taxed to such an extent, however, that it was found expeditious to open a loan office. It was the founding of this office which led to the ultimate business of the firm and the parting with the original tavern business.
l908, through a partnership with Thomas M. 0'Gorman, Dolan abandoned his tavern and devoted his attention to the real estate and insurance business.
Previous to the World War William Dolan was associated with his father. At the break of the war he joined the colors. Upon his return to the United States he again associated himself with his father. From an illness contracted during the War, William Dolan died in 1919.
At the time of the death of William Dolan, Ray R. Dolan returned to St. Louis from Washington, D.C. and the east, and joined his father’s company. He was shortly after made a partner in the business. Within a period of a few weeks John P. Dolan died. After John P. Dolan’s death, Ray R. Dolan assumed charge of the business as its President. A.F. Dolan, another brother, and a sister Mrs. Helen C. Walsh, were taken into the business, representing the interest of their father at that time.
In 1920, Daniel F. Sheehan was employed as a clerk in the office, and has been in continuous service with the company, at this time he is First Vice-President.
In 1908 the business was conducted in a small room on the first floor of the building. In 1928 the Tavern was remodeled and the offices of the John, P. Dolan Realty Co., Inc., occupied this remodeled space. A number of changes were made during that period of time, and last summer the company again took over the space of the barber shop which was its original office. At the present the company is arranging to remodel the entire first floor of the building to be used for its offices.
In 1923 a general sales force was added under direction of Howard Bergen, and the company force was increased to twenty persons. It now numbers thirty-five.
In 1908 a sale was something unique and happened probably once in a few months -- at this writing the company has made a sale every day for the first 120 days of 1937. The company recently was appointed as loan solicitor for the Prudential Life Insurance Co. of Newark, N. J.
The history of the firm is typical of many in St. Louis which have expanded as the city has grown. Its officers are Ray R. Dolan, president; Daniel F. Sheehan. vice-president; A. F. Dolan, vice-president; M. A. Galli, vice- President; William J. Byrne, secretary-treasurer, and Howard S. Bergen, director of sales and advertising.
FOR YOUR HEALTH - DOUGLAS INSTITUTE AND GYMNASIUM 6442 NASHVILLE AVENUE, ST. LOUIS, MO.
We keep the well folks well. We eliminate ailments through the pores. Our treatments are personal individual instructions in physical culture as to what the person's physical condition requires.
Mrs. Douglas looks after ladies. Sun bath, steam bath and massage.
Bob Douglas and wife have conditioned men, women and children for 36 years. Phone Hiland 6711.
GEORGE W. ERHARDT
Having lived for 30 years at the same address. 1219 Childress Avenue, George Erhardt was well known in St. James Parish before he went into business. Now, every-one knows him as the fellow with the shiny green truck, who calls for and delivers your laundry and cleaning.
Mr. Erhardt is the son of Geo. W. and Henrietta C. Erhardt. His mother died at the Childress Avenue address last December 31. His wife is Martha Gregory Erhardt.
He started in the laundry business in 1925 as part owner of the Forest Park Laundry, 6440 Wise Avenue. He sold his interest in this business in 1933, but remained in this field through another connection. He added garment cleaning to his line, and has had a steadily increasing clientele of satisfied customers. His phone is STerling 1976.
Mr. Erhardt's chief bobby is hunting -- for new customers.
For the past seven Year Mr. Geo. Frey has been operating his Plumber's office at 1924 Forest Avenue. Mr. Frey has been in the Plumbing business for many years.
Mr. Frey was born in Wichita. Kansas. He was educated in the State of Kansas. He is married and his wife is Florence Casey Frey. Mr. Frey is a member of the St. Vincent de Paul, Holy Name Societies and one of the official plumbers of the Engineer Corps. In his early days on the Kansas prairies, he pursued wild bird and beast. Every now and then we see his name in the Verdino Column as having got the limit in quail, woodcock and wild turkey. He is also an expert fisherman. Mr. Frey's present ambition is to retire to a country home.
GEORGE GAGAN, PAINTER
George Gagan, Jr., following in his father's footsteps began his career as a painting contractor in St. James' Parish in 1926. He resides at 1444 Tamm Avenue. He has one child, Glennon Gagan. Mr. Gagan was born May 4, 1912 in St. Louis. He attended the Holy Rosary and Ashland Schools. Mr. Gagan did splendid work for the church. He and his brother Lester, who works with him, painted the exterior and interior of the rectory last year.
On September 30, 1930, John Garavaglia and his wife opened a Grocery and Meat Market at 1420 Tamm Avenue, a few doors from the Rectory, and immediately the community was captivated by his genial manner and display of goods. His prices were reasonable and the goods he offered for sale suited local demands. His business has constantly manifested a gradual success. This probably is also due to the pleasing and kindly assistance his customers receive from Mrs. Garavaglia and their clerk, Charles Garavaglia.
Mr. Garavaglia was born in Milan, Italy in 1891. At an early age he came to the United States and served during the World War in the American Army. He has two boys, John Leonard and Leonard Louis James. John Leonard attends the Christian Brothers College and Leonard Louis James is a pupil in the St. James School.
Mr. Garavaglia is fond of fishing and hunting, but has little time for these pursuits except on a Sunday when he goes to the country; on those occasions he often forgets his own pleasure to prepare a meal for his companions -- he is an excellent cook.
GEORGE GITTINS CLAY PRODUCTS CO.
In 1895, George William Gittins opened a saloon at 5867 Manchester Avenue. He endeared himself to the people of the surrounding neighborhood and a few years later he began the operation of a clay mine on Tamm Avenue. His ability continued to increase and he became the owner of several other mines in Maryland Heights. Finally in 1910 the business was incorporated under the following officers: George W. Gittins, Albert E. Gittins.
Mr. Gittins braved the depression with flying colors and he is now the proud owner of the George Gittins Clay Products Co., 5861 Manchester Ave. The present officers are George W. Gittins, Albert E. Gittins and Jennings W. Stubbs.
Mr. Gittins was born in St. Louis in 1875. His grandfather had come to this country from Wales in a sailing vessel, the trip taking 93 days. After landing Florida he proceeded-up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, where he obtained an ox cart to take him out to what is now Forest Park where he established a coal mine.
After attending the Gratiot and Clinton Schools he married Katherine E. Diehl. Mr. and Mrs. Gittins are the proud parents of a son, Albert, and a daughter, Mabel, Mrs. Jennings Stubbs. Mr. Gittin's foremost recreation is baseball, of which he is an ardent supporter.
SAM GITTINS GROCER
In 1871 Mr. Edward Gittins opened a grocery store at 5681 Manchester Avenue; but since that time his son, Sam Gittins, is operating the store at 5863 Manchester. Mr. Gittins also has a meat market and fresh vegetables in his store.
Mr. Gittins is an old settler in St. James Parish. The house where he was born occupied the ground where the Zoo in Forest park is now situated. Mr. Gittins' grandfather, his father, and his uncle, James Elley, operated coal mines in 1855 in Forest Park. Mr. Gittins attended the old Gratiot School on Graham Avenue. He is affiliated with the Congregational Church. Mr. Gittins' favorite recreation is fishing. His present ambition is to have good health.
To Mr. Gittins credit is due for much of the information used in this history of the early days in Cheltenham.
HAP'S SERVICE STATION
On August 7, 1927, Marvin R. Pfeiffer, better known to the, community as "Hap," opened a service station at 6369 Manchester
Avenue, corner Manchester and Tamm Avenues. Hap's pleasant "Good-morning's" and "Good-evening's” no matter how dreary the morning or evening have gained him many ardent friends and satisfied customers. We of the community feel that Hap is doing the impossible, that is “Pleasing the Customer” as Hap explains his present ambition.
Mr. Pfeiffer was on born in Union, Missouri on December 5, 1904. He attended grammar school in Union and then came to St. Louis where he was a student at Soldan High School. He married Martha Wells April 18, 1930. Hap is a lover of sports and steals away from the service station whenever he deems it possible for a fishing or hunting trip.
CHARLES W. HEIL
Mr. Charles W. Heil was born in the year 1888 at 3855 Chouteau Avenue. He attended St. Bernard's School. His father is the late Charles P. Heil and his mother is the late Rose Riegel Heil. Mr. Heil is married and has two children, Charles, Jr. and Ruth. His wife is Cecelia M. Grabenschroer Heil. Mr. Heil is a member of the Council of Administration, and a member of the Holy Name Society. For many years he has been interested in the Choir in St. James Church, and has been assisting Miss Minnie Carreras, the organist. Mr. Heil’s favorite recreation is motoring and swimming.
Mr. Charles W. Heil is and has been connected with the Heil Packing Company which was incorporated in 1904, at 2216 La Salle Street. The first officers were Geo. L. Heil, President, and Geo, L. Lauth, Vice-President; the present officers include the above mentioned and their Junior Sons. The Heil Packing Company is a continuation of Charles P. Heil Company who commented business in St. Louis it 1866; slaughtering a hog, cutting it up and selling it in the Old Round Top Market then located at Jefferson and Market street.
HENSE AND SON
In July, 1905, Mr. William Hense Sr., opened a grocery store at 6400 Wise Avenue, corner Tamm and Wise Avenues. This was the first grocery store south of Forest Park and north of Manchester Avenue. The friendliness and generosity of Mr. Hense has made it continue with much success through these long years. Mr. William Hense Jr., was a capable partner with his father up to the death of the latter. Having inherited his father's characteristics he always has a word of welcome for each and every customer. The store carries an excellent quality of fresh vegetables, fruits, meat and staple goods and also offers free delivery service.
At the time Mr. Hense opened his store the community had no streets or sidewalks and groceries were delivered in baskets, making it necessary to straddle the Mud puddles most of the route. William Hense was very much interested in athletics and gave very liberally to the enlargement and betterment of the school playgrounds. He was a familiar figure at all church socials and entertainments, always seeming to enjoy himself and thereby furthering his circle of friends.
HILL TOP NURSERY
Mrs. Bess O’Gorman Gallaher, assisted by her sister, Marie O’Gorman, is operating a nursery school at 6452 Nashville Avenue, Avenue, in the house in which they were born and raised. Children between the ages of 2 years and 5 years receive training according to the teaching of the leading universities of the country. Transportation for the children who attend is provided by the school. The children come at 9:00 o’clock and remain until 3:30. They spend part of each day outside and receive a hot lunch. Menus from Iowa State University are followed. After lunch the children undress and climb into bed for the afternoon nap. Habits of health and cleanliness are taught, and to adjust themselves amicably to the activities of each other and the group.
Mrs. Gallaher, before her marriage taught physical training at Cleveland High School, St. Louis, Missouri, and had a year’s experience in the Government nursery school at Neighborhood House, St. Louis. She is the daughter of James P. and Mary Scully O’Gorman and has lived in the Parish most of her life. She is the widow of James Gallaher, a St. James boy, and has two children, Larry, 12 years and Jerry, 8 years, both attending St. James School.
Mrs. Maymie Hugeback resides at 6163 West Park Avenue. Mrs. Hugeback is the dressmaker who makes the beautiful quilts for St. James carnival.
Mrs. Hugeback was born in St. Louis on March 2, 1890. She was a pupil at the Arlington School. Mrs. Hugeback has three children Henry Jr., Bernardine and Gerard, all of whom have been educated at St James School. Mrs. Hugeback has been a worker in St. James Parish for many years. She is always willing to do something for the Church,
Mrs. Hugeback has known Father O'Connor since he was at St. Edward’s Parish.
Joe's Place, at 6328 West Park Avenue, corner Tamm and West Park, was opened in 1918. The genial personality of both Joe and his wife, Jennie have endeared them to the community. They have an excellent line of all fresh fruits and vegetables in and out of season. The store is a popular meeting place for the parishioners of St. James. There is always a friendly greeting by Jennie.
Joseph Sharamitaro was born in Palermo, Italy. His father was Joseph Sharamitaro and his mother, R. Bomarito. Joe married Jennie Sharamitaro and they are the proud, parents of four children: Sadie, Joseph, Peter, and Laura.
KAEMMERLEN ELECTRIC CO.
In February 1925, the Kramer-Kaemmerlen Electric Company was organized at 22 North Second Street by G. E. Kramer and T. C. Kaemmerlen. On April 15, 1937 Mr. Kaemmerlen bought out his partner, and formed the Kaemmerlen Electric Company at 2318 Locust Street. Mr. Kaemmerlen was born February 6, 19O3 at Guadalajara, Mexico. His parents, Joseph L. Kaemmerlen and Angela Ehrhard Kaemmerlen returned to the United States in 1912 and located at St. Charles, Missouri where young T. C attended St. Charles Borromeo School. He latter attained his business training at the Ranken Trade School in St. Louis. Mr. Kaemmerlen married Margaret Newsham and resides at 6510 Dale Avenue and attends St. James Church. He is the proud father of two boys; Richard. six and one-half years old and Bruce, four and one-half years. With his service as polished and dignified as his appearance, he always lends himself and his business resources to the electrical work of the parish under the Engineer Group of Catholic Action. He is Vice-President of the Holy Name Society.
MISS KATHERINE’S DRY GOODS STORE
Miss Katherine's Dry Goods Store began doing business at 6400 West Park Avenue in 1927. Later Miss Katherine Schweikert, the proprietor, added a post-office substation and a lending library. The store became a popular place for the girls of the neighborhood to gather. Miss Katherine has been very helpful on such occasions as First Communion and Graduation in obtaining material for children's outfits.
Miss Schweikert was born in Belleville, Illinois where she also received her education.
K. KERNER ICE & COAL
Many parishioners have been served by the K. Kerner Ice & Coal Co. since it was opened for business in 1923 in St. James Parish. Notwithstanding the keen opposition that this Company has met from the modern electric ice box he is still in business, and on a summer day he is a welcome visitor to the poor man’s home. And as to coal, he doesn't compete with the Polar Wave; he serves the man whom the big company ignores. There is no order too small for Mr. Kerner.
Mr. Kerner resides 1328 Louisville Avenue. He is the son of Edward Kerner and Annie Frank Kerner. His wife’s name was Augusta De Beaux. They have one child, Anniemae Enz.
Mr. Kerner is a member of the I.0.0.F. His favorite recreation is fishing.
KIES AND SON BAKERY
In September, 1910, the Kies Bakery was opened on the corner of Tamm and West Park Avenues. The pleasing smile of Mrs. Kies and her daughter, Helen, was a treat in the early morning hours for the early-risers of St. James Parish. The delicious biscuits, doughnuts, coffee-cake and rolls prepared by Mr. Kies and his son, August, are a real treat for the appetite no, not only in the early morning, but all hours of the day. This same quality of goods has been maintained throughout their long years of service to the community and on Sunday mornings after the early Masses at St. James Church, standing room in the bakery is at a premium.
Mr. Ernest Kies was born in Germany where he attended school. After coming to the United States, he married Miss Woehrle. Mr. and Mrs. Kies are the proud parents of a son, August and a daughter, Helen, Mrs. Schwoebli. Mr. Kies, is a member of Christ Church. He looks forward to the day when he can again visit his native land. At the present time he enjoys a good game of pinochle, as a substitute for his future interest.
August Kies is a member of Triple A Golf Club and goes around in the 80's.
Mr. Kies is a member of the Master Bakers’ Association and also a member of the Singing Society.
Mrs. Helen is a member of the Ladies' Singing Society of the Masker Bakers’ Ladies' Society.
Vincent Kigens operates the confectionery a half block north of St. James School. He has been in business since 1920; previous to that time the store was owned and operated
by his mother, Mrs. Fox. The confectionery has been a landmark of the Parish for many years. The school children would beg their mothers for pennies to buy candy at Fox’s Confectionery, now the children go to Vincent's.
Mr. Kigens was born Nov. 11, 1884 in St, Louis, Mo. He was educated at St. John's Parochial School. He resides in the store, 1320 Tamm Avenue.
Mr. Kigens always has a crowd of boys around him because of hid interest in baseball. So children when you have a few pennies to spend, visit Vincent Kigens and enjoy his confections.
KOENEKE DRUG STORE
In the early part Of the twentieth century, the Koencke Drug Store was opened at 6821 Manchester Avenue. Mr. Koeneke was a young and energetic man with a determination to succeed, and succeed he did. From a small business, it has grown to a first-class drug store; a store equipped with a full line of standard drugs and toilet articles. Careful and accurate attention is given to the compounding of physicians’ prescriptions by Mr. Koeneke.
Mr. Koeneke was born in Quincy, Illinois in 1863. He was educated in Belleville, Illinois. Before opening his drug store, Mr. Koeneke worked as a drug clerk, when he received his experience and was inspired with the desire to become an owner himself. His father was Chas. A. Koeneke and his mother Miss Linneman. Mr. Koeneke is a member of St. James Parish.
In the spring of the year, Mr. Koeneke's fancies turn to bass, rainbow trout, carp, and any other varieties of fish within easy access of St. Louis.
A well known market at, 6486 Clayton Avenue was opened for business on November 1, 1925. Mr. Harry S. Kyman, the present owner, started the business at that time, Mr. Kyman is assisted in the store by his wife, Mrs. Kyman, and Gene Godfrey. His ability as a salesman is one of the reasons he is successful today. He always tries to please his customers which means a lot these days.
Mr. Kyman has two children, a boy and a girl, Marvin S. and Valerie Belle. He is affiliated with the Jerome L. Goldman American Legion Post. Mr. Kyman was in service in France in the World War one year, in the Hospital corps as First Class Private.
In 1884, James Green founded what is now the Laclede-Christy Fire Clay Co., one of the largest firms of its kind in this part of the country. This plant was on the site of the largest sulphur spring at Sulphur and Manchester Avenues, and for years after it became a busy brick yard, natives kept up their pilgrimage to the sulphur water pump as a cure for whatever ailed them.
Natives recall that Green always kept a herd of goats who roamed at will throughout the plant yard to prevent grass growing around the piles of stock brick. These goats were adept at keeping out of the way of trucks and freight cars but on occasions created some humorous incidents by their pranks on unsuspecting workmen absorbed in their labors.
The firm name was Laclede Fire Clay Co., but was never referred to by natives as anything but Green's. About 1910 Laclede consolidated with Christy Fire Clay Co. under the firm name of Laclede-Christy and has since operated the plant at 4705 Ridgewood Avenue in addition to the Manchester Avenue plant. They manufacture boiler stokers in addition to fire clay product.
James Green had two sons, Thomas, who lived on an estate in the 6100 block of West Park Avenue until his death, and Jack Green, who managed the business after the retirement of his father. The present officers are: J. L. Green, President, W. J. Westphalen, Vice-President and General Manager, and J. N. Baggot, Secretary.
LEHMAN HARDWARE STORE
In February, 1909, George E. Lehman opened a first-class hardware store on the northeast corner of Tamm Avenue and Clayton Road. After a year in the business the store was moved to its present location at 6400 Wise Avenue. Mr. Lehman was zealous worker and aimed to please the customer. With the able assistance of his daughter, Ruth, the business outgrew its small premises and additions were built to the back and a storeroom acquired on the second floor. In 1922, the business was incorporated under George E. Lehman, and his son-in-law, Mr. W.I. Moon. Mr. Moon was a very able assistant to Mr. Lehman, and on his death, Mr. Moon was placed in charge of the business. At the present time the officers are Mrs. S.W. Lehman, and Mr. W. I. Moon. Mr. Moon is an excellent salesman and business man, with a welcoming smile at all times for all customers.
Lehman Hardware Store was the first store of its kind in the parish and has always contained a complete stock of high quality home appliances and hardware.
EDWARD L. LOYET
The Canary Flower Shop, at 2203 Forest Avenue is a familiar place in St. James Parish. Mr. Loyet, the owner of the Shop is a first-class business man and a congenial friend to all who know him. He is always full of pep and at the same time serious-minded in regard to details of the business. He has the competent assistance of his, Mrs. Emma Bovard, who tends the business when Eddie is out decorating churches homes for weddings and debutantes’ parties. His decorations and bouquets run a first-rate test with any in the city.
Mr. Loyet was born at Black Jack, Illinois and was educated in Collinsville, Illinois. He is a staunch member of St. James Church and the Holy Name Society. He is a fervent admirer of the Meramec River and its club-houses and beaches. On the hot summer days, Ed drives to the river where he is the owner of a "homey" club-house, for a cool night's sleep in the open.
THE MCDONNELL GROCERY COMPANY
The McDonnell Grocery Company opened in 1914 at 6800 Clayton Road, corner Clayton and Central Avenues. Mr. McDonnell's charming personality and happy disposition won for him many true and lasting friends. At his death in 1917, Mrs. Margaret McDonnell continued the business with the competent help of her daughter, Marguerite. A few years later the business outgrew the small store and Mrs. McDonnell moved to her present location, 6814 Clayton Avenue.
Mrs. McDonnell was born in St Louis and spent her early years in St. Malachy’s Parish. Mrs. McDonnell is an active member of the Queen of the Rosary Sodality and the Catholic Action Groups. She is a lover of the outdoors and enjoys auto-riding, picnics and steak-frys. She is looking to the time when she can retire and spend more time in the wide open spaces.
JAMES E. McLAUGHLIN
A member of St. James Conference, St. Vincent de Paul Society and Assistant Circuit Attorney of St. Louis, lives at 6764 West Park Ave. He was educated in St. Louis Parochial Schools, Christian Brothers College and St. Louis University School of Law. He is 51 years of age. His wife is Margaret Lester McLaughlin, who lived the West Park address ore than thirty years. They have three children. Mr. McLaughlin's mother worked for the City of St, Louis for more than fifty years, and was a prominent member of the Third Order of St. Francis. She was buried from St. James four years ago. Mr. McLaughlin is a confirmed philatelist, his hobby being stamp collecting. He has a very fine collection.
Zora Manestar, owner of the Date Avenue Delicatessen, 6470 Dale Avenue, was born in 1907 in Sveta Jelena, Yugoslavia.
Zora Manestar's father came to America. Zora with her mother and two brothers followed in 1922. They came to St. Louis to their friends. Zora Manestar attended St. James School to study English. She married Matt Manestar in 1925. They have three children, Amiel, Rosemary, and Milton who attend St. James School.
Matt Manestar is a stonemason and helped build the stage and shrine on the St. James School grounds. He built their present home for his bride before their marriage. He has a record for being a fast builder.
In August, 1935 hr remodeled his home into a store and now the neighborhood has a well stocked Delicatessen. Zora Manestar operated the store by herself and in spite of her long tiring hours, she greets every customer with a smile. She is an expert swimmer and does beautiful handwork.
THOMAS FRANCIS MANION
Born at 6450 West Park Ave., December 20, 1898, of Peter Manion and Catherine Collins, who were married in St. James Church in October 1884, Thomas Francis has continued his residence in St. James Parish except whilst serving in the army in 1918. He studied at the Parochial school, Kenrick Preparatory Seminary, and graduated from Benton College of Law in June, 1923. The study of Law accompanied employment with the Government, on the Claims Board after the World War and the Salvage Board for War Materials, as well an subsequent work at the local Federal Reserve Bank.
Having successfully taken the State Board examination, immediately upon graduation from College, Mr. Manion entered the general practice of Law, in which he has been steadily engaged, maintaining his present suite of offices at 705 Olive Street.
Mr. and Mrs. Manion, nee Mella Koch, reside at 6515 West Park Avenue. As a distraction and recreation Mr. Manion enjoys golfing, hunting and fishing; and his wife shares his frequent outings and enjoys them.
The publicity given to the Golden Jubilee twenty five years ago came through Thomas Masterson of Kirkwood, then a parishioner, and a reporter on the staff of the old Republic. Though no longer a reporter or parishioner, he volunteered to serve on the Advertising Committee of the Diamond Jubilee. To his efforts are due the fine publicity we have been receiving from the press.
If anyone wants to show appreciation to Mr. Masterson, fie says, Let them give consideration to his friend Doctor John D. Stillwell who succeeded Doctor Bowdern at Tamm and Clayton. He vouches for his efficiency and nobility of character. Doctor Stillwell is a son of one of the most prominent merchants of Hannibal, Missouri.
MEYER'S GROCERY AND MARKET
The genial disposition of Chas. H. Meyer, proprietor of the Meyer Grocery & Market at 6400 West Park Avenue has made for him many friends. Mr. Meyer strives to please his customers at all times. He has been operating in St, James Parish since 1921.
Mr. Meyer is the son of the late Henry Meyer and Annie Meyer. He was born in St. Louis and attended Gratiot School. He resides at 6400a West Park Avenue with his wife, Luella Volz Meyer and their two children, Adrienne and Robert.
Mr. Bill Meyer, a namesake though not a relative of Mr. Charles, operates the meat department.
MINETTE'S BEAUTY SHOP
A popular place in St. James’ Parish is the beauty shop operated by Minette A. Hathaway at 6335 Victoria Avenue. The Beauty Shop was established on March 23, 1930 and has become a meeting place for the ladies of St. James' Parish. Mrs. Hathaway participates in all of St. James' social gatherings. She combines business and pleasure, and as a result she has a large following. You are always at home when at Minette's.
Mrs. Hathaway was born in St, Louis, Missouri on October 5, 1911. She is the daughter of Elmer and Mary Boehmer Zaph. She attended the George Dewey School, and is affiliated with St. Mark's English Lutheran Church. Mrs. Hathaway has one child, Dorothy Carolyn. Mrs. Hathaway resides at 6212 Clayton Avenue.
Mrs. Hathawav has never participated in any other kind of business except the "Beauty Shop." With Minette Hathaway's pleasing personality and cheerfulness, we know the women of St. James' Parish will continue to patronize her beauty shop.
MITCHELL CLAY MFG. CO.
An old and revered landmark is the Mitchell Fire Clay Co., established in 1857 on Manchester Avenue, west of Sublette. This company has operated continuously for eighty years but passed out of the active control of the Mitehells with the death of Stanley some years ago. The Mitchell home was in the 6700 block of Mitchell Avenue.
This firm enjoyed a fine reputation among the natives who worked there, owing to the close contact which the Mitchells maintained in the business and their humane attitude toward their help. In the beginning the plant was a small factory with two or three kilns on the property from which the clay was being mined. As this mine was worked out, however, other clay property was bought in Cheltenham and later the clay had to be shipped in from out-state.
The present officers are: A.A. Van Cleve, Los Angeles, President, Wm. F. Knoesel, 3654 Bellrieve Avenue, St. Louis, Vice-President, and Arthur Kammerer, Ambassador Building, Secretary.
Mr. James R. Moore gave up farming and took over Hazel’s Confectionery at 1541 Tamm Avenue in 1931. Mr. Moore was born in 1879 and educated in Wayne County, Missouri. Although he gave up farming, he did not give up hunting and fishing. He hopes to regain his health in the wide open spaces. We know of no better way.
NEWPORT SHEET METAL WORKS
Since 1886 Mr. John J. Newport has been in the Sheet Metal Works situated at 3106 Chouteau Avenue; at that time Mr., Newport’s brother, Lawrence P. Newport, was in the business with him. For many years Mr. Newport has taken care of repairing and replacing the guttering and spouting on all the Parish Buildings and other work of his in the tinner’s line. Mr. Newport is not satisfied with his present location because now the majority of business places are moving further west. At the time of the establishment of Mr. Newport’s business, Chouteau Avenue was a business district.
Mr. Newport was born on March 4, 1863. He was educated at St. John’s, St. Malachy’s and St. Kevin's Schools. Mr. Newport is married and his wife, Rose A. Coffey Newport is the sister of the late Father Coffey of St. Leo's Church. Father Coffey is remembered throughout St. Louis for his energetic activities in favor of Christian Temperance. Mr. Newport has six children.
three boys and three girls, John J. Jr., Michael A., James T., Rose Mary, Annette, and Helen, all of whom have received their education in Catholic Institutions. He also has ten grandchildren who are being educated in the Catholic Faith.
Mr. Newport is affiliated with Catholic Action, is a member of the Holy Name Society, and he is also the President of the St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. James Parish. Mr. Newport’s favorite recreation is playing pinochle and his present ambition is to hold 1500 trumps, which may happen in the near future.
NULL-MORGAN COAL CO.
In 1904, the Null-Morgan Coal and Material Company was opened at 1711 Sulphur under the leadership of J. N. Null. Mr. Null, a very versatile man, won scores of customers in a few years. Mr. Null always had time for and took interest in the topics of the day. His business grew along with his son, Elmer, and in later years, Elmer became a member of the firm. In 1923, Mr. Earl P. Morgan entered the business as a partner. 'Mr. Morgan’s cheerful disposition and happy manner was an asset to the Company. No order for coal or materials is too large or too small for the Null-Morgan Company but is always taken with "Thank you, call again." "Prompt Delivery" is their motto.
Mr. Null attended Gratiot School. Mr. and Mrs. Null are the parents of two boys, Arthur and Roy; and Mr. and Mrs. Morgan are the parents of three children, William, Dorothy and Earl Jr.
Mr. Morgan's parents were among the first Welsh settlers to move into Cheltenham. His grandfather having operated coal mines south of where the Arena now stands.
O'GORMAN BUILDING COMPANY
About 1853, Richard Tobin, grandfather of John C. Tobin, attorney and one time president of the St. Louis Board of Education, a builder, helped his brother-in-law, John O'Gorman, build a home which is still standing at 1527 Tamm Avenue. Here eight children were born, the youngest of whom, John J., became a partner of Dick Tobin's in the building business. Today Johnny O'Gorman, son of John J. and grand-son of the pioneer John O'Gorman, is also a very successful builder and contractor. Although only about 30 years of age, he has built about 100 homes in the last eight years. He also builds for John P. Dolan Realty Company and Thomas M. O'Gorman Realty Company. The homes, which he designs as well as builds, have individuality and distinctiveness. Johnny’s pleasing personality and upright character have been big factors in the success of his business.
Mr. O’Gorman received his education at All Saints School in University City and Normandy High. From these he attended several years at the Architectural Club of St. Louis while superintending work for the Midland Valley Corporation under Michael Tracy, an Architect. Some of the buildings he helped to construct while with this company were the Overland Theatre, the Knights of Columbus Building of Overland, a large garage at Denny and Olive Street Roads, and other business buildings in St. Charles and Moscow Mills. Mo. He also took one year’s private tutoring in architecture from Mr. Krablin and a course in estimating and contracting at the Y.M.C.A.
Mr. O’Gorman married Mary McCabe and resides at Ellen and Laclede Station Road. He maintains an office at his home, and head-quarters at the Dolan Realty Company where they handle his financing, rent collections, sales and other business transactions.
O’HARE SERVICE STATION
The O’Hare Service Station was opened in 1935 at the corner of Clayton and Hampton Avenues. Mr. T. Joseph J. O'Hare has been the operator since that time.
Mr. O’Hare was born Dec. 14, 1912, in St, Louis, Mo. He attended the Gratiot School. Mr. O'Hare is married and has one child, Joseph Daniel O’Hare. Mr. O'Hare married Bernice Dillinger. Mr. O’Hare has been an important figure in soccer for many years. He would rather play soccer than eat. He is a member of the Holy Name Society.
The Service Station is near the Arena and Hampton Avenue entrance to Forest Park.
In 1923 Mr. Charles M. O'Keefe, Sr., opened a grocery store at 1325 Hampton Avenue. At the present time his two sons, Charles M. Jr., and Emmett Joseph O’Keefe, are operating the store. The O’Keefe brothers attended St. Cronan's Parochial School. Emmett O'Keefe married Gertrude Shaw and they have four children, Emmett Jr., Elizabeth Ann, Mary Jane and Gertrude.
Mr. Charles M. O'Keefe, Sr., died a little more than a year ago and within a year of
his death his wife was called to her reward. The son, Charles lives with his sister, Mary Elizabeth at l325a Hampton Avenue.
Mr. Emmett O'Keefe is an usher and teller at St. James and his wife is assistant Organist.
OLLIE AUTO TOP CO.
Attention automobile owners: Did you know that the Ollie Auto Top Company does auto trimming, painting and dent work at 6201 Famous Avenue (rear)? Mr. Oliver Philip Knebel began this business in 1932. He was formerly employed by the Fisher Body Company and is experienced in this line of work.
Mr. Knebel has lived in this Parish 33 years; he is a son of Philip and Minnie Marti Knebel; he attended Gratiot School and Ranken Trade School; is married and has one daughter, La Verne. Mr. Knebel attends St. James Church; hunting and fishing are his favorite sports.
E. A. PILLA COAL AND COKE
In 1930 Mr. E. A. Pilla established a coal and coke business at 1353 Graham Street. Previous to 1930 Mr. Pilla was a truck driver.
Mr. Pilla was born in Gallo, Italy, on September 22, 1908. He was educated at St. James School. He is married and has four children, two boys and two girls, Edward Francis, Frank, Rose Mary and Margaret. Mr. Pilla is a member of the Holy Name Society. His favorite recreations are hunting and fishing.
PLACKE SERVICE STATION
Since November 1930, Mr. Clements (Clem) J. Placke has been operating a filling station at 6232 Clayton Avenue. Everyone knows Clem Placke for his congeniality.
Mr. Placke was born in St. Louis, on Oct. 19, 1902. He attended St. James School, he is a member of the Holy Name Society of St. James Church, and he is one of the best workers in Catholic Action. Mr. Placke married Marie C. Brennan at St. Theresa’s Church, and they reside at 6231 Victoria Avenue. They have one child, a girl. Mary Joan. Mr. Placke is a member of the Hetherington-Placke family. His mother will always be remembered in St. James Parish because of her assistance in times of sickness as one of the best Practical Nurses in the last two generations.
ST. LOUIS LEAD WORKS
Located on the south side of Manchester Avenue between Sublette and Macklind the St. Louis Lead and Oil Works branch of National Lead Co. was founded in the early eighties as an independent Lead Foundry. Since consolidation with the National Lead Co. the chief product is white lead for making paint.
This firm operated continuously in the present location and has been a steady source of employment to Cheltenham labor. The St. Louis General Manager is J.A. Castleton. Local plant manager, Geo. B. Gilmore in the employ of this firm for 30 years. The branch Superintendent is Jean McCallum.
The V.H. Saling Grocery and Meat Market at 6657 Clayton Avenue was opened on June 30, 1930 under the able management of Valentine Henry Saling. Mr. Saling’s pleasant manner has won for him many and true friends. His honesty with his customers is beyond reproach.
At 6421 Lloyd Avenue Mr. Hiram L. Schmedel has had a complete printery since 1933, with a stock line of print from a Chicago printing company, which includes advertising novelties like matches and score cards. Mr. Schmedel does the general line of work in his own plant – folders – letter heads, raised letter work – a plateless color system which eliminates the necessity of color plates, in color printing – also copper plate engraving and Christmas cards.
Mr. Schmedel was born in St. Louis. His family have lived at the Lloyd Avenue address for many years. Hiram and Mrs. Inez Shetlar Schmedel have three children, Robert, John Hiram and David. Mr. Schmedel as a boy attended Gratiot School, later Barnes, took a course in I.C.S. Law and is a graduate of I.C.S. Illustration. He belongs to the Clifton Heights Church and is a member of A.F.A.M.
ALBERT F. SCHWSEITZER
Albert E. Schweitzer, age 36, whose profession is Attorney at Law, resides at 6105 Clayton Ave., and has been a member of St. James parish during his life time. He was educated in the Gratiot and Clifton Heights public schools, Public High School, and received his Law Degree from the City College of Law and Finance in 1928. Running for the House of Representatives in November 1936, he led the Republican ticket at the Primary and the Election. He is in the general practice of law at the present time.
He is the son of August and Bertha
Schweitzer, who came to this community from Switzerland in 1884, and have lived here since that time. He is married and has three children attending St. James School: Alberta and Caroline, aged 6, are twins.
SCULLIN STEEL COMPANY
The largest industry in Cheltenham is Scullin's Steel Company, in fact, it is one of the largest Steel Companies in the City of St. Louis. The area covered by the plant is about ten or twelve blocks along Manchester Avenue. This rustic winding of the River des Peres can no longer be seen along the plant. The Scullin Steel Company was opened and incorporated in 1898 at 6700 Manchester Avenue. The first officers were: John Scullin, Chairman of Board; Harry Scullin, President; Thos. J. Gallagher, Vice-President. The present officers are: Harry Scullin, President; Charles Gilbert, Vice-President and Treasurer; G. L. L. Davis, Vice-President; E. S. Wortham, Vice-President; Edward F. Judge, Secretary, and Wm. H. Chirkey, Jr., Assistant Secretary. The original promoters were Thos. J. Gallagher and Harry Scullin. Many years ago the present company was known as the Scullin-Gallagher Iron and Steel Co. At the present time the Scullin Steel Company employs about 1200 persons in the Foundry. The Mill is under the direction of the Sheffield Steel Corporation, which employs about 300 persons. Colonel Harry Scullin had been connected with the Street Railway of St Louis before becoming interested in the Scullin Steel Company.
Colonel Harry Scullin was born on October 6, 1875, in Leavenworth, Kansas. He is the son of the late John Scullin, who was a very close friend of the late Father Casey, and his mother was the late Hannah Perry Scullin. Colonel Scullin attended Christian Brothers College, St. Louis, Fordham College, New York, and St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo. Mr. Scullin was made Colonel during the World War. Colonel Scullin married the late Julia Woodward and two-children were born of this marriage. Colonel Scullin has been very active in Boy Scout Movement for many years. He belongs to the Catholic Church and is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus. Colonel Scullin's favorite recreation is shooting and fishing, and his principle ambition "to gain Heaven."
Rose Gioia, age 26, born in St. James Parish of Charles Gioia and Innocents Colombo, ranks among the modern women of the business world. She conducts an up-to- date Cleaning Shop at 1315 Tamm Avenue, with her mother acting as able assistant.
Miss Gioia seeks success in her venture, having no trouble in satisfying the patronage gained by seven years of experience. An alumna of St James School, a member of the Queen of the Rosary Sodality, and a singer in St. James' Choir, she numbers many friends in the social circle of the community.
DANIEL F. SHEEHAN, ATTORNEY AND VICE-PRES. JOHN P. DOLAN I REALTY CO.
The rapid growth of the John P. Dolan Realty Company. 6401 Manchester Avenue, has been due in part to the activities of the promising young lawyer, Dan F. Sheehan, who is also one of the vice-presidents of the firm. Mr. Sheehan began his connections with the Company on February 9, 1920. He has seen the business grow until there is scarcely another realty company in the city that does a larger volume of business.
Mr. Sheehan was born November 16, 1903, in the neighborhood of 20th and Cass. He received his education at Gratiot School, St. James School, Central High and obtained an A. B. degree from the Law School of St. Louis University. He married Bernice Dunn and has two children, Dan Jr. and Mary Ann. They reside at 7206 Northmoor Drive, University City.
Mr. Sheehan is a member of the Knights of Columbus, Optimist Club, Missouri Athletic Club, Elk Club and Greater St. Louis Commercial Club. He is a lover of the great outdoors. His pleasing personality at once invites confidence and trust.
The very attractive grocery store on Manchester between Tamm and Dale is operated by Frank Baretich. The delivery truck bears the name Tamm-Dale Market. Mr. Baretich began business at 6413 Manchester. In 1934 he remodeled the present building. It is as neat and inviting on the inside as it is on the outside.
Mr. Baretich resides at 4730 Heidelberg Avenue. He is the son of Frank B. Baretich and Mary Shusta Baretich. He was born in 1907 and attended St. George's School. He is a member of the Holy Name Society of St George's Church and spends his leisure time hunting and fishing.
Mr. James P. O'Gorman is one of the most loyal native sons of our fair state and of St. James Parish. It is well known that he would rather be dead in Missouri than alive in any
other state in the Union. And he is thoroughly convinced that there is no finer place in Missouri to make your home and raise your family than right here in this neighborhood. The high regard he has for this vicinity impelled him, with his friend and partner, the late Mr. Edward Cody, to open the Lloyd-Childress Subdivision, situated between Clayton Avenue, Dale and Louisville. Later the property adjoining to the north was purchased. Of the 100 lots, 65 are sold, 31 of which have homes built and occupied. The prices are reasonable, ranging from $400 to $2000 for single lots.
Mr. O'Gorman was born and has lived all but about two of his 78 years in St. James Parish. His father was John O'Gorman and his mother Catherine ("Kitty") Tobin, both of whom were born in Ireland. His father came to this country in a sailing vessel in 1848, landing at New Orleans. Mr. O’Gorman married Mary Scully and has five children and six grandchildren, all living in the Parish. He resides at 6441 Lloyd Avenue.
His favorite recreation is gardening, He has for many years been designated as the gentleman who wears a flower in his button-hole from the time the first flower blooms in the spring until the last flower dies in the fall.
John A Vezeau, the neighborhood florist, started his business 25 years ago at 6317 West Park Avenue. He produces an excellent quality and variety of potted plants.
Mr. Vezeau was born in East St. Louis, Illinois. His father was Antoine Vezeau, a French Canadian, and his mother, Mary Cloden, a descendant of the first settlers of Cahokia, Ill. Mr. Vezeau married Susie Ware and they have two sons, Waldo, a college professor at St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia, and Dean, a student at St. Louis U.
Mr. Vezeau is a collector of Indian relics, and he is conversant with the lives and habits of the tribes that once lived in the Mississippi Valley. His collection. gathered over a period of forty years, compares favorably with any in the Middle West.
OUR LOCAL MERCHANTS
The relationship that exists between St. James Church and the local merchants is one that inclines the writer to express deep gratitude to each and every one of them with whom he has had any dealings during the past quarter century. In every instance the merchants have manifested a spirit of generosity and helpfulness that has been delightful. Unreasonable demands by parish representatives; requests for this, that and the other thing have sometimes been made upon them -- driving a free horse to death -- and under this constant irritation I have never heard of one of them that lacked politeness or made a protest. For these, and many personal favors I deeply thank them, and hope that my parishioners will be practical in showing their good-will to all who contributed to the expense of having this History published.
Their names and places of business are recorded on the preceding sheets. In appreciation of their increasing loyalty to the parish, I have not given any space to merchants or others who do not reside within the parish boundaries. I told them, in this instance money could not buy space.Editor
|Bibliography||Oral history||Recorded history||Photos|
|YOUR page||External links||Walking Tour|