#132: HIV information : Augustin shares a letter

From: felix Augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

The following is a letter I sent to AAFP after I learnt from the Corbertland
that they had mentioned 'Haiti' in their pamphlet on AIDS eduction.  I have
also added below the response from AAFP.

Dear AAFP members,

Your organization currently distributes a handout to educate the public
about AIDS.  That's a great job.  However, in the list of people who are at
high risk to contact the virus, you mention the following "Anyone who has
lived or was born in an area where HIV infection is common, such as Haiti".

Despite the high prevalence of AIDS in Haiti, your statement is completely
unjust to Haiti, a poor country which has been trying very hard to revive
its economy.  This statement is completely unfounded.  There is no evidence
that living in Haiti causes someone to have AIDS unless that person
practices unsafe sexual behavior.  Furthermore, Haiti is not the country
with the most AIDS cases in the world.  There are statistical documents from
the World Health Organization to prove it.  Anyway, why the finger pointing?
  After all, AIDS is a worldwide disease which can be caught anywhere.

Despite congratulating you for the good education on ADS, I would recommend
that you remove the mention of HAITI from your text and apologize to the
people of Haiti for any harm this statement may have caused.  If you feel
the need to mention high risk places with AIDS, at least do not mention one
country (this is completely unfair), mention all.

I hope my advice was helpful in making your education on AIDS a successful
one.

Thanks
Felix Augustin