#267: U.S./Aristide and Haiti: a respondse to Foxwell

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

Foxwell writes:
<<  American business brought about  continuing improvement in Haiti. This
 was ended when the
  administration of William Jefferson Clinton destroyed the Haitian
 economy with a criminal
  embargo, violated national law by invading Haiti militarily and placed a
 discredited puppet
 regime in power. Haiti has been in the toilet ever since.    >>
and more ad nauseum..........

I hardly know what to say to this vitriolic and not too objective response to
my, admittedly, not too objective post.  I guess we know where you stand Mr.
Foxwell.  I couldn't disagree with you more.  Haiti has been in the toilet
for more years than it has been out.  Just because Duvalier had a
stranglehold on Haiti and crime was practically nil, doesn't mean that things
were so good then as opposed to now.  Whenever totalitarianism is replaced
with a democratic government it is a fabric-rending, messy and long suffering
experience for all concerned.  I share Aristide's focus on making Haiti
better for ALL Haitians not just those on the hill.   I do NOT believe that
Clinton placed an embargo on Haiti for evil reasons, but because his hands
were tied by the Republican controlled congress from doing anything else.
Those thugs should have been taken care of within hours of the coup.  The
only reason congress reluctantly allowed the intervention was because of the
public outcry over Haitians coming to the U.S. in boats.  You obviously have
a different perspective than I do.  I know many many majority class Haitians
and by choice not very many elites.  Because those with the power and the
money promise to destroy Haiti rather than allow Aristide to change the
balance of power, doesn't mean they should be accomodated.  Sometimes right
is the more difficult path.