#494: Further discussion of use of vodou symbols: O'Brien replies to Gier

From: Martha O'Brien <mobfa1@scotus.sfcpa.edu>

imagery, I would like to state that not all Christians share the view
that all vodou imagery is offensive.  I am at least nominally a
Christian, our project is based in a college run by the Franciscan
T.O.R.s, many of our participants and supporters are at least
nominally Christian, the work which we support in Haiti is Christian--
none of which would lead me to ignore something which is a strong
reality in Haitian life and which is an intrinsic part of the fabric of
Haitian culture.  My concern is not with whether I would be
offending someone on this campus (the idea has already been
discussed here and does not seem to be problematic), rather
whether practitioners of Vodou consider the flags to be sacred
objects which would be demeaned by being part of a secular
display.  I also am secure that the group which we are helping in
Haiti is in no way prejudiced against Vodou (Brother Francklin will
tell you that his mother served the lwa, that he works closely with
the local Vodou priest, that many of the children who attend the
schools facilitated by the Little Brothers and Little Sisters are from
families who practice Vodou,etc.)  Additionally, it is my
understanding (I wish I could remember where I read this) that
when the Roman Catholic church in Haiti went to the vernacular,
many of the hymns which were introduced untilized Vodou drum
rhythms and some even utilized Vodou melodies to which Christian
words were written.  So, in the Roman Catholic milieu in which we
are working there appears to be much less perception of Vodou as
"evil" and much more acceptance of it as yet another religious
tradition to be respected and valued for what it is.  I am sure that
within the Roman Catholic church there are those who would not
share my views on this, but I do not believe that I will be offending
anyone on this campus at this time and would be happy to discuss
our differences of opinion if necessary.

I would be most interested in Mambo Racine Sans Bout's opinion
on this.

Additionally, I received two posts off-line admonishing me to be
sure to check copyrights--someone else had already been
assigned to do that and is pursuing it.

Thank you for your input.