#524: Further discussion of use of vodou symbols: Gray comments

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< My concern is not with whether I would be offending someone on this campus
(the idea has already been discussed here and does not seem to be
problematic), rather
 whether practitioners of Vodou consider the flags to be sacred objects which
would be demeaned by being part of a secular display.>>

Well, hmmm... I guess it depends on what kind of display.  I have Vodou
flags, pakets, drums, and other objects which I exhibit as examples of
ceremonial *art*, for example.  If it's a respectful display organized by
someone with some knowledge, I personally don't have a problem.  In fact, the
art and artisanery of Vodou is so VERY beautiful, I welcome any opportunity
to make it available to a wider audience.

<<  I also am secure that the group which we are helping in Haiti is in no
way prejudiced against Vodou (Brother Francklin will tell you that his mother
served the lwa, that he works closely with the local Vodou priest, that many
of the children who attend the
 schools facilitated by the Little Brothers and Little Sisters are from
families who practice Vodou,etc.) >>

So, does his bishop know he is so positive toward Vodou?  I mean, I can't see
how he can be, just by definition.  On the other hand, I know of at least two
Haitian Roman Catholic priests who are also Houngans, so ...

<<... when the Roman Catholic church in Haiti went to the vernacular, many of
the hymns which were introduced untilized Vodou drum rhythms and some even
utilized Vodou melodies to which Christian words were written. >>

Of all the nerve!  LOL!  I mean, let them write their own hit tunes.

<< I would be most interested in Mambo Racine Sans Bout's opinion on this.>>

Gee, thanks, it's nice to be needed!  :-)

Actually, I had a recent conversation in Haiti with the lwa Gran Bwa.  Gran
Bwa got a kick out of Catholics!  He thought they were in for a big surprise
with their modernized rites incorporating traditional drums:

"You see the little fathers talking with their jaws full of kaka?  They are
going to get a shock!", laughed Gran Bwa.  "Those drums, each one of them has
twenty-one different lwa inside it, and one day... they'll COME OUT!  That
day is coming very soon!"  And here Gran Bwa laughed uproariously, rocking
back on his chair.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean.  For Gran Bwa's digression on life in
Guinea, see http://members.aol.com/mambo125/granbwa1.html.

I remember in 1993 or 1994, when the military regime was at it's worst and
bodies were turning up in the streets every day, Pope John Paul II issued a
papal letter in which he identified the two most destructive influences in
Haiti as being *Vodou* and *placage*, common-law marriage.  Not a WORD about
those MURDERERS in the uniform of the Haitian Army, not a WORD about the
attaches or FRAPH or the United States right wing.  I lost what little
respect I had at that point.  Nowadays I don't care what ANYONE thinks
anymore!  LOL!

Peace and love,

(Kathy S. Grey)

"Se bon ki ra",