#841: Taino and Ginen Questions :Bell comments

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

I sure would be curious to know what Kathy Grey has to say to Wiley's Ginen
question.  Mambo RSB n'ap mande avis'ou....

My impression has been that there is or was a renascence of Ginen spirit
underwriting both the misik rasin flowering and coincident populist
political movements.  Boukman Eksperyans, RAM and other groups spoke for
this idea.  I think that it is the religious foundation beneath the
political message of that music that gave it its extraordinarily durable
power, as in the case of Bob Marley. (for more on this them, try
http://faculty.goucher.edu/mbell/miroir.htm) lespri Ginen as I understand
it is thoroughly compatible with the spirit of charismatic Christianity, so
there is certainly a theoretical comparison with the religious basis of
Lavalas in its beginnings, and probably quite a good deal of actual overlap
too.  It makes sense for servite Ginen to have social goals simlar to those
of liberation theology.  This sort of idea was expressed in organizations
like Zantrey as well as in the music.  But it seems to me that although the
cellular structure of Vodou is very good at producing nationwide phenomena,
no one has ever succeeded in making it into a stable nationwide
organization....

...except maybe Duvalier, to the extent that he did succeed in subverting
the secret societies, e.g. Bizango, to the purposes of state terrorism,
makoutism &c-- my impression is that he did have a considerable success
along those lines, as much as no one seems to want to talk about it.  Thus
the actions taken against various hounfo, houngans, and (especially?)
bokors, during dechoukage.  Undoubtedly, mistakes were made during that
period also.

To some extent it appears that the resurgence of lespri Ginen is/was a
reform movement in the religion itself... a reaction against the work of
the left hand and its cooperation with political terror.  But one must not
criticize Bizango and the societies carelessly.  I am a long way from
understanding them well enough to do that... a very long way.  I have seen,
though, that there is a place for the societies within many hounfo which
are otherwise Ginen.  Anatomically speaking, the right hand is connected to
the left hand (whether or not it always knows what the left hand is
doing).  In this sense, Western style Good vs. Evil dualism may not be a
very good model for understanding Vodou.

msb