#954: Ethnic Cleansing, Dominican-Style? Grey comments

From:Racine125@aol.com

In my dim and foggy recollection of my human rights training, it seems to me
that somewhere in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
right around Article 15, it says something like, "Everyone has the right to a
nationality.... No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor
denied the right to change his nationality."

And I always understood that your nationality was determined by the country
in which you are born, unless your non-citizen parent(s) by choice go and
register you right quickly at the Embassy of their nationality.  I would
hazard a guess that the Dominican Republic is signatory to the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights and all the other pertinent documents, right?  So
what is up with that?

This is really revolting, and it's gone on WAY too long.  No one can convince
me that it's anything other than a race thing, either.  You know, one day I
was reminiscing with a Haitian friend, currently a minister of something or
other in the Preval government, about a Hispanic festival held out in
Worcester.  All different Spanish-speaking nationalities and ethnicities were
represented, it was super!  And speaking VERY generally, here is what I noted
- Puerto Rican women tended to use dark makeup, dark eyeliner and lipliner
and so on, and if they colored their hair they dyed it black.  Hairstyles
ranged from African-American inspired to some styles that said "Carib" and
"Taino" more than anything else, at least to me!

But the Dominican ladies wore pale pink lipstick and light blue eye shadow,
and if they dyed their hair they bleached it blond.  They wore it in
matronly, fluffy, white-lady curls.  Dominicans wouldn't get in such a panic
over Haitians in the DR if Haitians looked like Scandinavians, I bet.  In
fact, I bet a lot of the Dominicans would run to marry 'em.

Peace and love,

(Kathy S. Grey)

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>