#1180: Bilingualism: Dorce continues discussion with Durran

From:LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 11/30/1999 6:11:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, Mary Durran
<mdurran@colba.net writes:

<< the minority French speakers are also the
 most
 powerful people in the country, and how does one get this powerful minority
 to stop devaluing Creole?   >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The same way apartheid was defeated in South Africa, the condemnation of the
rest of the world.  Good old fashioned peer pressure.  But how to get the US
to condemn the power elite in Haiti when they have been in cahoots with them
all these many  years?  I always think that if the American people knew the
real story of Haiti, they would force the politicians to do the right thing.
I fear that Haiti's elite feel they have too much to lose by embracing their
Haitian-ness.  They have the arrogance to believe that their Haiti is the
true Haiti......that could not be further from the truth.  If all of Haiti
were like the elite's Haiti....I  wouldn't spend two seconds thinking about
it.  And I daresay nor would most of the non-Haitians who love Haiti.
Because a thing is reality doesn't mean it should be accepted.

  "Some people see things as they are, I see things as they should be."