#1686: Resources in DC: three replies

From: felix augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

Dear Anne,

As far as low cost English classes in the DC area, you can check any public
library.  Most of them carry local newspapers that offer good English
classes for foreigners.  Also you can contant Carroll Boursiquot who is the
coordinator for the group WATCH in Maryland.  They offer free courses.  I
don't know her number but you can call 411 and they can search her number.
Also LADO in georgetown and US department of agriculture (USDA) graduate
school on 12st NW offer great courses for anyone.  But you have to pay a
little more money.  I hope that helps.

Good luck
Felix Augustin

=====================
From: Perdue and Persinos <vtandwi@erols.com>

Fourth Presbyterian Church, 5500 River Road, Bethesda, MD 20816-3399,
just outside DC, offers a course in "English as a Second Language" ("at
different proficiency levels").  The next session begins January 11,
7:15-9:15.  Telephone Lora Silsbee at 301-320-3434, ext. 261.  I am not
certain but I think there is no charge.

Fairly recently, there was an organization in DC called "People's House"
that was a good source of advice on questions of this kind.  I just
called their telephone number and got a fax signal.  Will try to follow
up and get a telephone number.

Bob Perdue

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

In Detroit, Haitin immigrants who need to learn English (or better Eglish)
simply take the local Public Schools ESL classes, offered free at levels
1,2, and 3, at area school buildings as well as at the International
Institute and at a few libraries and church-community buildings. It doesn't
hurt, I think, to learn English along with the Senegalese and Mexicans.
Karen