#3189: Baskets (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legracebenson@clarityconnect.com>

Severl request for more information on basketry have come to me.  Perhaps
this information can be posted to the list:
A person knowing a real deal about the current state of crafts in general,
baskets in particulalr is Gisele Fleurant. The most recent address is:
Gisele Fleurant
Comite Artisanal Haitien
c/o Lynx Air
Ft. Lauderdale FL. 33340   in Port-au-Prince: 29 rue 3; PO Box 2404.

She also has worked on crafts documentation with Kathy Mangones and could
supply that address, which I don't have.

There are references scattered throughout the Journal of the Bureau of
Ethnography.  One chapter in a book is devoted to the topic:
Dieta (nom de plume), OBJETS au QUOTIDIEN;Art et Culture Populaire en
Haiti.  P-a-P: Imprimerie le Natal, 1993. Relevant Chapter "La Vannerie,"
pp. 41-47.

Source of information: Arts of Haiti Research Project
<legracebenson@clarityconnect.com>