#3218: The Return of the Dark Days - Kozyn follows on PINA

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

From: kevin pina <cariborganics@hotmail.com>

> After having read the Wilentz piece for the LA Times I decided to call a few
> friends of various stripes and affiliations to get their comments. Without
> exception, not one of them had ever considered, nor have ever heard of a
> position, forwarding racism as a factor in the flight of Bob Manuel or the
> assasination of Jean Dominique. Comments ranged from "riduculous" to "what
> is her game?." A well-known Haitian commentator from TNH summed it up best
> after reading the piece and being informed of the author's connection to
> Haiti. He asked, "Does she know our rainy season is late this year? Remind
> me who she is again."

I couldn't believe the thrust of Amy's piece either. If there was no
other hypothesis, she sure danced around it quite a bit, but the
point was still made. Nwa kont wouj!

Yet, I still was left with an appreciation of her passion for Haiti
and what Jean Dominique might have meant.

And what was that?

I think - and my opinions are based on the little knowledge I possess
- that he played an enormously important role in the Haitian media
and in  Haitan society - especially among what we here in the U.S.
might refer to as "movers and shakers" - as others have already
pointed out here and in the Haitian media. Hell, even U.S Congressmen
and Administration officials sung his praises last week. (I'm not
making this up. I witnessed this hypocrisy myself. I'm still waiting
for IRI to chime in though - Mr. Zarin, when can we expect your
homage to Jean Dominique?)

Jean Dominique served as a bridge of sorts. He was able to
articulate, for the benefit of those who refer to them as "les gens"
or "moun andeyò" the aspirations of the poor, of the peasantry. He
gave voice to individuals who had no one to amplify their voice. Onè
Respè. You know, he was someone who really believed and lived that...
Onè Respè.

I'm surpised Amy Wilentz didn't see Dominique's assassination for
what it really was (remember Occam's razor) - yet another attempt to
silence the voices of those who advocate on behalf of the poor. Who
benefits from his death Amy? Now work backwards. Voilà chérie,
there's your assassin.

John Kozyn