#3260: Re: GAO Reference (fwd)

From: kevin pina <cariborganics@hotmail.com>

I have not been able to find these GAO documents. Does anyone have a clue
where they might be located??

kp

In March 1995, a prominent attorney and critic of the Haitian
government--Mrs. Mireille Durocher Bertin--was assassinated. This report
discusses how the U.S. government handled the allegations it received about
a plot to kill her. GAO answers the following questions: Who decided that
the government of Haiti was responsible for warning Mrs. Bertin of the
assassination plot? Were other approaches to handling the assassination plot
allegations considered? What information was available to U.S.
decisionmakers on the involvement of Haitian officials in political
violence? Was Mrs. Bertin warned of the assassination plot? Did the Haitian
government investigate the assassination plot
allegations? Are there any U.S. laws or regulations on notifying targets of
assassination plots? Since Mrs. Bertin's death, has the United States warned
any persons in Haiti of threats against their lives?