#3609: : This debate on HC orthography : Grey replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< I do accept Kathy's explanation that her initiator wanted her to spell
 one part of her name in French rather than in standard Haitian Creole
 orthography, hence 'Mambo Racine Sans Bout', and I'd be perfectly
 willing to leave it at that.  I can't help but wonder though whether
 this does not betray a certain complex of inferiority on the part of
 Kathy's initiator.  Why would anyone insist on the French spelling in a
 phrase that is purported to be "Kreyol" (HC) ?>>

If you could only have known Luc Gedeon, Bon Houngan Jambe Malheur, it would
already be clear that an "inferiority complex" is just about the last thing
that could have motivated him.  I'm not quarrelling, he was just a person
with a high degree of self-esteem.

<<Why this attitude of obsequiousness with respect to French speaking
foreigners?>>

Luc Gedeon knew that more people speak French than speak Haitian Creole.
That is all the reason there was, pure and simple.  I got that name because I
have many, many lwa working with me.  Sa Te La I got because I was already
asogwe when I repeated my vows in another house five years after the death of
Luc Gedeon.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>