#3511: DeGraff on the linguistics of "mambo" and of "Mambo Sans Bout..."....Grey replies

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< From my own research on the origin of the name Manbo, I believe that it
comes
 from two words:
 Man for Manman in Haiti, Man being often said for mother in Africa.
 and
 Gbo which means "active magical force" in the Fon language spoken mainly in
 Togo and Benin. >>

Actually, my information indicates that the word "mambo" originates from
KiKongo, and means "to sing" or "to chant".  Thus a Mambo is a singing or
chanting woman, a woman who is singing invocations, by extension.  That is
also why the word has come to indicate a musical form in a different cultural
context.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>