#3695: An inconsistency in Creole orthography? Delimon comments

From: Florence Delimon <fdd7929@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>

As far as I know, and full-fledged linguists please correct me if I am wrong
- the right spelling of the word, as per official orthography rules, is
ALWAYS "youn", regardless that one says "youn pitit" (a child), youn grenn
pantalon (one pair of slacks, as opposed to two or three).

This "yon" spelling seems to come mostly from the Haitian-American diaspora,
and from Protestant churches in Haiti affiliated with American churches.  It
is also mostly observed in texts coming from the United States, both from
Haitian-Americans, and Americans who are versed in the language.  But, if
you go back to Haiti, and read any Haiti-based newspapers and/or church
bulletins in the cities and countryside, the spelling is consistently
"youn".  Less and less (as opposed to the beginning of the 80s) you will see
youn spelled yon in Haiti.  The official spelling in ALWAYS "youn".

Florence