#3912: US Military, a racist, and Haiti : Boyce replies

From: jenny boyce <omatasi2@yahoo.com>

I have not looked at my email for a few days, and have
found this post only today, but felt compelled to
respond.  The thing about "racists" is: their human.
And racism is a learned behavior.  And what instills
it so deeply so that people can't see the truth about
other human beings (they're human) is hurt.  Everyone
(some more than others) as a child is innodated with
misinformation about other people and in order to
survive in our world which is run on racism
(capitalism needs it to create competition and
fighting among people so people won't get to gether
and overthrow the powers that be) accepts it.  So,
this guy is a human who somewhere in him knows how
connected every thing on the planet is and has a lot
of pain and misinformation that obscures his thinking.
 One way of ending racism - what would the world be
like!? - is to hear people's stories of what their
life was like as a child, why they think the way they
do.  What are their memories of people different than
them and what the adults around them did. It is going
to be white people that will have to take on
eliminating the racism of other whites- especilally
white supremists.  We can't expect people of color to
do this.
I know of an incident where a staunchly racist man was
listened to, not argued with for over an hour about
his participation in a lynch mob targeting a white
CORE (Congress on Racial Equality) that was organizing
blacks in his town.  A black child had drowned during
a demonstration at a lake they were trying to
integrate (it was during the Civil Rights movement).
This became the excuse for the white citezens to
unleash their anger about integration.   After venting
his anger about the CORE worker he began to see that
the drowning was just an accident.  And sobbing about
how he had the "rope in his hands".
Haiti has governed itsself through the racism that has
surrounded it and the racism that was internalized by
the earliest slaves and passed from generation to
generation.  I, as a white, US,  middle class woman
can't do as much to eliminate Haiti's struggles from
the inside as I can from the outside - my home
country.  So I do all I can to see racism ending in my
own life and this, because we are all connected, will
spread.  And at least then Haiti will have more space
to figure out how to be what it wants to be.
Jenny Boyce
omatasi2@yahoo.com
--- Robert Corbett <bcorbett@netcom.com> wrote:

> [Corbett comments:  This is not fit reading for all
> readers.  There
> are elements of extremely strong racism in parts.  I
> am posting it for
> two reasons:  I think it is worth reminding
> ourselves that these veiws do
> exist out there and are alive and well.  Secondly,
> some of the claims
> about the experiences of this person in Haiti are
> extremely revealing.
>
> But, if you can stomach virulent racism, please
> delete NOW.]
> ===========
>
>  From: radman <resist@best.com>
>
> From: < http://www.civilwartwo.com/sfua.html>
>
> HAITI AUG 30, 1999
>
> ?IMMACULATE INVASION:? THE GREAT LIE by SFC Steven
> M. Barry, USA (Ret)
>
> Quite frankly, Bob Shacochis? hand wringing over the
> fate of Haiti (?Only
> Haiti Can Save Haiti:? 30 August) leaves me cold. I
> was a member of the
> invasion force, and served in Haiti as the
> Intelligence and Operations NCO
> for Special Forces Operational Detachment 381,
> stationed in Petit Goâve.
> I have read Shacochis? book, ?Immaculate Invasion.?
> It is Marxist drivel,
> as was his 30 August opinion piece. His lament that
> ?Wealth was not
> redistributed? by the U.S. Army reveals his
> politics, as does his
> anticipation of Aristide returning to power.
> Aristide was a founder of PUCH, Haitian Communist
> Unification Party. His
> ?Lavalas? movement consisted of anarchists,
> squatters, ?students,? Maoists,
> vagrants, and just about every other example of
> human detritus. I called
> them collectively the Khmer Noir.
> Lavalas organizers consisted almost entirely of
> heretic ?priests? of the
> ?liberation theology? (read ?Christian?-Marxism)
> persuasion, leavened with
> voodoo for the savages. My ODA commander once asked
> my advise on putting an
> end to the almost daily Lavalas riots. ?Simple,? I
> told him, ?let me kill
> these so-called ?priests?.? He didn?t think that
> was a good idea. The
> riots continued.
> In Petit Goâve FRAPH had 108 members. I know; I had
> their records, files
> and correspondence. To a man, every member of FRAPH
> was productively
> employed, or was a small land or business owner. The
> polar opposite of the
> Lavalas. In Petit Goâve, FRAPH were the Haitian
> middle class. (Or as
> Shacochis would say, the petit bourgeoisie.) And
> they were, to a man,
> anti-Communists.
> Think of FRAPH as the VFW turned political party.
> Did they occasionally
> resort to violence against the Lavalas to protect
> their property and
> businesses against the mob howling for ?democracy??
> Sure they did. Why
> shouldn?t they have?
> [...]
=== message truncated ===