#4071: Olivier Nadal's Big Lie : Benson adds

From: LeGrace Benson <legracebenson@clarityconnect.com>
>To members of this list who may not be familiar with the Apostles' Creed
or the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, it should be pointed out that the
quotation "...done those things that he[we in original] ought not to have
done..." etc. appears in the General Confession for Morning Prayerrather
than in the Apostles' Creed. The Apostles (so-called traditionally) creed
is a simple, three-paragraph formulation stating belief in God the Father;
then in Jesus, his Son; finally, in the Holy Ghost(now more commonly "Holy
Spirit"). Both these formulations would be familiar (in Kreyol or French
versions) to Haitians who attend services in Episcopal churches, including
Holy Trinity in Port-au-Prince.  This is not meant as any form of comment
on the opinions expressed by either Nadal or Racine but simply as facts
that may be of some consequence to the on-going discussions on various
aspects of religion in Haiti that arise fairly often. A Credo and a
Confessio have important functional and theological differences. As I have
been given to understand and have observed, the Credo is sometimes used at
the beginning of some Vodou ceremonies, but I have not observed or heard of
the General Confession so used. In another point in response to the same
message, the Apologists, did of course, explicate and defend the several
credos, of which the "Apostles" is one, but I believe it is correct to say
they did not write the "Apostles" creed.
This comment is off the topic raised, but a part of the several topics that
continually tread through Corbettland, hence the remarks.  L. Benson