#4283: On the failure of a democratic success: reply to Pierre from Poincy (fwd)

From:HYSEKA@aol.com

Poincy,

Everything you mention here makes perfect sense to me, except for one thing.
I believe that Lavalas does have a clear agenda. Maybe this is because I am
philosophically more attuned to the Lavalas movement than the other ones.
However, I believe that a political party in Haiti or anywhere else has the
responsibility to articulate is main goals to the general public, so they
know what they are voting for when they actualy do vote. Just remember that
Haitian proverb, Poincy: "mwen pap al acheté sak nan makout".

As I was saying before, I truly believe that Lavalas has a clear and
articulate agenda for Haiti. That may explain its successes in the last
electoral contest, to the dismay it seems, of everyone else. This Lavalas
party has published in mid-december of last year a book called Investir Dans
l'Humain, which I will continue to urge every one to read if they can get
their hands on it. You may disagree with the approach or the rationale. But
numbers don't lie and you can also use the facts to make your own analysis.

Aristide later on, published another book that is more philosophical, but
which also helps more understand his personal vision for the country, and
where he would like to see it headed to. That book, Eyes of the Heart, is
also an interesting argument.

It is easier then to envision where the country may be heading with the
Lavalas movement in power, than it would be with having some other group
which does not define itself ideologically or otherwise.

I am in all honesty, trying hard to figure out what the opposition stands
for. This was not a rhetorical question. I believe that the Haitian people
know what they are voting for, not what they're voting against. This is what
I think is dangerous for democracy, not the fact that Lavalas won
overwhelmingly.

Hyppolite Pierre