#4330: White asks questions regarding U.S. foreign policy : Goff replies

From: Stan Goff <stangoff@all4democracy.org>

> From: kwhite2 <kwhite2@drew.edu>
>
> I am young, and my interest in Haiti is only 3 years old.  That means
> there's a ton I don't know.  I'm going to ask some really naive questions
> here, because I just don't get some of this.
>
> Why does Washington care about monitoring the elections?  Sure, we send a
> lot of money to Haiti, and most people think that means we have the right
> to direct things.  It doesn't in my book.  'Cmon, the age of imperialism
is
> (hopefully) beginning to wind down and the cold war is over.  Why should
we
> stick our fingers in?

Keep asking naive questions.  They're the best ones.  We actually send a
pittance to Haiti, and most of it gets held up when the Haitians refuse to
kowtow to the interests of an international financial oligarchy.  The end of
the Cold War didn't end imperialism, it gave it free reign.

> I certainly want to help make the situation in Haiti better.  I don't
think
> I'd be on this list if I didn't.  But I also know that I am not a Haitian,
> and that Haitians are the only ones who are going to be able to solve the
> problems there.  The State Department running around the globe telling
> everyone how to run their countries is an absurdity in the current
> political climate.

Never forget that the State Department works for the Commerce Department.
It only looks absurd if you don't understand that US elites do not want
another "renegade" like Cuba in its own "domain" that tells those elites to
shove off.

> I've seen enough since I joined the list to understand that it's sometimes
> difficult, in Haiti, to weed out unscrupulous voices.  That's _another_
> long discussion about the nature of truth, but I'm not going there at the
> moment.  It seems to me that Washington isn't making us (citizens of the
> U.S.A.)any friends with their chest all puffed up with the Monroe
> Doctrine.  Do we just have to wait until all the folks who remember the
> cold war are dead to get over ourselves?  That would be an unfortunate
> wait.

Krista, I advise you to read Inventing Reality, by Michael Parenti, then
another book called Promoting Polyarchy.  That will help you understand why
there is a steady build-up in the drumbeat to discredit the latest election
in Haiti.  There are preparations afoot to find a pretext to militarily
re-occupy Haiti.  US troops are already maintaining a quiet presence there.
I also recommend Haiti Progres, the weekly newspaper that unabashedly
promotes the greatest sin, Haitian sovereignty.

And Haitians DO need us in one respect.  They need us to challenge the US
ruling class and fight their efforts to deny sovereignty to Haiti and other
nations.

Stan