#4430: National uniforms:Morse/Poincy (fwd)

From: oloffsonram <oloffsonram@globelsud.net>

To Poincy:
Though I am not qualified to run a country or turn a country's economy
around, I suspect that your approach, on the surface, is a bit naive
and isolationist. Haiti has dug a hole that is quite deep and will need
investment partners to rekindle the economy(for example: USSR/Cuba). To
plant cotton and produce textiles to make clothing at a competitive
rate for local consumption seems a little far-fetched. What if the
locals don't like your fashion sense?
On the other hand, perhaps you are hinting at something else:
I recently saw a National Geographic magazine from the 1930's and all
the market women were wearing carabella blue or they were dressed all
in white. Are you thinking of requiring people to wear a national
uniform made locally? Castro uses these Special times to make Special
laws. Is this the future of Haiti? Who will be Haiti's investment
partner? Columbia?
Cuba is moving towards capitalism and tourism and is also having some
sanctions dropped by a Republican congress! Is Haiti, meanwhile,
heading for totalitarianism/old school communism, sugar and cotton?
Thats pretty heavy innuendo. Uniforms... Well.....I guess its good to
know all the options before you choose the best one....Will I get
beaten up on the street for my long hair or for expressing my ideas or
is this going to be a "kinder, gentler totalitarianism.

Richard Morse