#5227: Author seeks help

From: "Marlene R. Apollon" <mrapollon@home.com>

[Please reply directly to Marlene Apollon]

Dear First and Second Generation Haitian-Americans:

I am compiling information for a book on First and Second-Generation
Haitian-American Success Stories.

The idea is to get personal testimonies in the form of a first person
essay that might include general biographical information, educational
path, i.e., schools attended, extracurricular interests, college
experience, motivation, professional education as well as pitfalls and
recommendations.  That essay can be of any length.  However, some
editing may be necessary to fit publishing requirements and general
guidelines.  To protect privacy, only first names or a chosen alias
would be used but other details must be accurate and verifiable.

The purpose of the book is to showcase the ?Success Stories,? of people
of Haitian origin and ancestry to give the coming generations role
models of their own general backgrounds  and serve as reference on
career options for High School and Undergraduate students.

If you would like to participate, please contact me at the above e-mail
address. I would also appreciate your help in forwarding a copy of this
letter to other First and Second-Generation Haitian-Americans who fit
the profile.

I look forward to hearing from you and to receiving your ?Testimony.?

Sincerely,

Marlene Rigaud Apollon

Second Generation Haitian-Americans
"Success Stories"

General Guidelines for Essays

Marlene Rigaud Apollon
  mrapollon@home.com

Definition:  For the purpose of this book, you are a Second Generation
Haitian-American if you were born in the United States or emigrated at
age five or younger and grew up in the U.S with at least one Haitian
immigrant parent.  Those of dual backgrounds who didn't grow up with
their Haitian parent do not qualify.

Suggested Format:
1) Establish your general background:  Year and Place of Birth, number
of siblings, etc. and that of your parents:  Level of education, the
year they emigrated to the U.S, etc.
2) Describe your educational path:  private or public schooling, college
major (s), extracurricular activities and/or interests and career
choice.
3) Include a few words on the advantages/disadvantages of your
profession and some advice on how to avoid pitfalls you may have
encountered.
4) Add other details of your choice.
5) Be as creative as you wish.

-------------------------------

First Generation Haitians and Haitian-Americans
"Success Stories"

Marlene Rigaud Apollon
  mrapollon@home.com

General Guidelines for Essays

Definition:  For the purpose of this book, you are a First Generation
Haitian-American if one or both your parents are of Haitian ancestry,
you emigrated after age 5 and grew up/or settled in the United States.

Suggested format:
1) Establish your general background:  Year and Place of Birth, number
of siblings, year you emigrated to the U.S. etc.,  and that of your
parents.
2) Describe your educational path:  private or public schooling, college
major (s), universities attended,  extracurricular activities and/or
interests and career choice.  Specify how much of your studies and/or
training were done in the U.S.
3) Include a few words on the advantages/disadvantages of your
profession and some advice on how to avoid pitfalls you may have
encountered.
4) Include other details of your choice.
5) Be as creative as you wish.