#5276: Re: Dauphin Planatation history and "non-traditional" crop profits (fwd)

From: Simido@aol.com

In a message dated 10/9/00 Perdue and Persinos (vtandwi@erols.com) writes:

<< The Plantation survived and then thrived.  By 1933 it was paying its way
- and would ultimately produce a very generous profit.  The Dauphin
Plantation is an excellent example of what is required to establish a
new or "non-traditional crop" and bring it to profitability: total
dedication to an idea and a committed financial supporter who is not
easily discouraged. >>

While I find the details of the history of Dunn and the plantation somewhat
interesting, I cant help but notice the omission of any reference to the
workers of the plantation. What were the working conditions like for the
Haitians who toiled there for the foreign investors/owners? How many steps up
in terms of treatment, pay, workers rights, etc was it from the plantation
system under Spanish or French rule during slavery times?

Did they have a union?
Own land?
Have a company store with credit that kept them in debt?

Did the Haitian governments during those times have any restrictions.
guidelines, etc for the treatment of their workers by foreign interests?

As far as providing an example of what is required to establish a new
profitable crop, one element hasnt been addressed - the LABOR.

To what degree did exploitative labor practises contribute to the profit
margins?

If we are to think of this place as a tourist attraction, as you suggest in
your post, it is certainly important to know the history of the people who
worked that land, not just the "owners" or investors.

<< She concluded her letter with "I am very pleased
that you work with the World Christian Relief Fund.  I praise God for
what you are doing for His Kingdom on earth." >>

In my humble opinion, working for God's Kingdom would certainly include those
who worked those rough sysal plants with bare hands under a hot sun.

-Markus Schwartz
Brooklyn NY