#5337: #5263: The attack on Fonkoze : Grey comments

From: Racine125@aol.com

Greetings, all Corbetteers.  I'd like to address Tom Driver's informative
post on the Fonkoze murder. (Hi, Tom!)

At the risk of immediately becoming enormously unpopular, I would like to
point out that none of us have the slightest idea what the motivation of Amos
Jeannot's assassins were.  We don't know if it was "rival banks" or "peasant
associations" or "Macoutism" or "loan sharks" or what.

As a sometime investigator, I find it significant that the assassins chose
Jeannot personally, out of a group of people.  With no disrespect to Jeannot,
we have no idea what was going on in his life, and it is not for us to
speculate.

Fonkoze has not issued any statement to indicate where their suspicions
point.  But you know what?  It doesn't even matter.  Amos Jeannot is a martyr
no matter what - a martyr to a completely dysfunctional justice system
superimposed on a culture with a, hmmmm... shall we say unique perspective on
deception and stealing, not to mention rape, extortion and killing?

In Haitian prisons, the vast majority of inmates are awaiting trial, as
opposed to American prisons where the vast majority of inmates have been
tried, convicted, and sentenced.  Prisoners seem to be spirited in and out of
prisons - mostly out!  A little money to pay a lawyer, and offenders are
usually released once they appear before a judge, if they haven't already
been let go before trial, in which case they seem to be merely forgotten from
the docket!

If I wanted to commit murder and get away with it, Haiti would definitely be
my country of choice.  And life is not worth much here either - recently a
man from Cyvadier near Jacmel, a young man named Abner who was greedy for
money, accepted $2000 Haitian to kill another man. And kill the man he did!
He went to Cap Rouge and killed the guy, for real. He got $1000 Haitian up
front, and never collected his other half, at least he hasn't yet, he's still
in prison waiting for the trial.  This guy Abner, by the way, used to make a
living beating up people.  $50 was his fee, and he had done the job more than
once, but he was still walking around on the loose, you see?  And even I, an
American part-time resident of the area, knew what Abner's metier was, so I
can't believe that the police never heard of him.

Anyway, Abner is accused of killing this other man for $1000 Haitian.  $1000
Haitian, that is to say 5000 gourdes, is about $220 US.  I hope that most of
us on this list make more than that in a week... now, how do you feel when
you know your life is worth less than one week's salary in Haiti?  A Jacmel
judge commented disgustedly to me, "Oh, he will get a lawyer to plead for
him, and he'll be let go."

Another young man involved in strings and strings of robberies, a certain
Elie, was arrested and released, arrested and released, I don't know how many
times.  He used to steal bicycles, and sell other people's rockpiles
pretending they were his own (people pile up rocks by the road and sell them
to construction contractors, at least where I am).  He attempted a rape on a
well-to-do local woman, and finally the police went after him again and shot
him to death, in the back.  Everyone was very happy about Elie's elimination
from the Jacmel social scene, no one suggested that maybe the police should
have arrested him alive yet again.  Then there was an uproar over the body,
because the police buried it in common ground in the cemetery, rather than
giving it to the family.  This is because it was feared that his zombi would
be made to work robbing people if his family was allowed to have him -
apparently an older brother was also a criminal, also lost his life, and now
is made to haunt a certain crossroad preyi
ng on night travelers.

Against a background like this, folks, our commitment has to be to security
and justice for all Haitians!  Here I agree with Tom Driver that "the people
who stand to gain from an attack on a good and growing micro-credit program
are those who... most hate and fear anything that promises to empower Haiti's
poor."  They are also, come to think of it, the ones who benefit most from a
climate of impunity.

I also think Driver has a good statistical chance of being right when he
says, "Those investigating its perpetrators... will likely find, if they
investigate courageously, that the signs point to the same elements in
Haitian society that instigated and assisted the 1991 coup d'etat."  Those
are the people who are in possession of weapons and are habituated to
violence including murder.  But again, we just don't know, they could have
been anyone at all, we have no true idea of the identity of the guilty
parties.  And again, it doesn't matter - even if Jeannot were up to his neck
in some kind of magouille (and I don't think he was), the lawlessness and
worthlessness of the Haitian justice system bears the blame for his death.

Peace and love,

(Kathy S. Grey)

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb