#5341: Re: #5290: Grey's comments about the sale of Teleco etc. (fwd)

From: JRAuguste1@aol.com

Key words: airport, seaport, service, privatization, black-out, water,
teleco, telephones.

Dear Mambo Racine:

You asked me to imagine what the American people would say about....... ok,
here it is, and as you said, "without taking things out of context". !

I know that the American people would not put up with constant black-outs,
water at their faucets once a week and Teleco type of service where one has
to wait years for a telephone line installation notwithstanding bribes,
either requested by and/or simply offered to Teleco employees. Let's not even
discuss receiving and having to pay Teleco bills for services not rendered
and never to be rendered. Only the present Haitian government staunched
partisans and the present lavalas government itself oppose the sale of those
companies in Haiti. I doubt very much that people not directly financially
benefitting from those companies, those suffering from chronic lack of
service from those quarters in Haiti are opposed to the sale of those
companies or much yet give a hoot to whom they are sold, as long as they
receive the paid for service from the new owners. The bottom line is this: if
you can't do the job, like it is not being done in Haiti for years, step
aside and let someone who can do it at the helm. The American people, at the
very least would say: "put up or shut up; your quality, worthiness and
self-respect are reflected in your work product".

And to the Mambo's next paragraph, I say: two wrongs do not make a right. If
my neighbors have a habit of jumping out of their 20th floor windows without
parachute that is their business. I got no business or rationale for pushing
them or helping their exit out of said windows.

".............. If Haiti is a big
transhipper, it's because the USA is a big CONSUMER!  For every nasty
Colombian or Haitian coke runner, there is some nasty American on the other
end waiting to receive the shipment."

The Mambo further indicates that:

"........Haiti is NOT going to sell her airports and
 seaports, and the USA and the greedy "investors" are going to have to live
 with the facts."

As to the above quote from the Mambo I wonder what the greedy Haitians
leaders are doing with the money they extract from passengers foreign and
Haitian alike at the Port-au-Prince international airport upon departure. I
mean there is no toilet paper in the airport bathroom, no public telephone,
no a/c, no chairs to sit on until one passes the douane and the check up
points, no security just outside of the airport, constant chaos from the
people snatching your luggage out of your hand for a buck. So do not sell but
PLEASE provide proper service and accomodation for the $ collected. After all
the airport and the seaport are the first places observed by foreigners
visiting Haiti and first impression are very important. Provide the visitors
for a reason to return. Please give us less rhetoric, less politics and
better service.