5465: Home Depot helps build playground (fwd)

From: nozier@tradewind.net

Published Sunday, November 5, 2000, in the Miami Herald
Home Depot helps build playground

 Little Haiti will receive a large heaping of help on Tuesday, when
volunteers are scheduled to build a new neighborhood playground from the
ground up -- in one day. About 250 volunteers from local Home Depot
outlets and a nonprofit organization called KaBOOM! will begin work at 8
a.m. at the playground, Home Depot spokeswoman Marsha Ferguson said.
Slated for construction between 130 and 150 NE 79th St., the playground
will be the 32nd that Home Depot and KaBOOM! have built, but
Miami-Dade's first. ``We build one day, it takes a day to let the
concrete to dry, then on [Thursday], we'll dedicate it and open it as a
safe place for children to play,'' Ferguson said. ``With at-risk youth,
it's our responsibility to make things happen in the
 communities where we do business. It's our way of giving back to the
 community.'' Expected features include slides, bridges, catwalks, crawl
tubes, a speedy racer and a tick-tack-toe area. Also anticipated:
horizontal bars, spring hoppers and a climbing wall, all of which meet
or exceed federal Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.
 Ferguson said no additional volunteers are needed for the construction
day. For more information, call 305-261-6222.