5501: Subj: Re: 5491: Haitian & US electoral parallels: Dorce comments on Chamberlain (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 11/14/2000 12:44:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,  Greg
Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com writes:

The president and ex-president of the US have not (unlike the
president -- Préval -- and the ex-president -- Aristide -- of Haiti)
threatened electoral officials and no-one fled the US as a result (as did
electoral board chairman Léon Manus from Haiti).

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

These are alledged threats.  If you weren't there to hear them, they may not
have happened.  Leon Manus has an agenda that makes him suspect.  Things are
not always as they seem or as they are told, as you well know.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
<<The electoral law was deliberately violated in Haiti and government
officials lied by saying that the method used in 2000 was the same as in
previous elections.  And there is zero chance of any re-run voting or
re-counting in Haiti.
(....)
Hypocritical behaviour by the US and its officials towards Haiti over the
years does not excuse foul-ups by the rulers of Haiti.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It is not yet determined if electoral law (constitutional law!) was
deliberately violated in Florida, but it is also not out of the realm of
possibility.  Certainly the ballots in Palm Beach County were in violation of
Florida law, regardless of who approved them.  As we all know, our rights
cannot be taken away from us by anyone's approval of an illegal form.   The
point of these comparisons to Haiti's election process is not to say they are
the same thing exactly.  It is to say that the US has no authority, moral or
otherwise, to dictate to fledgeling democracies, how to conduct their
elections.  It is the height of arrogance and hypocrisy to imagine otherwise.
 In fact, I think the OAS and perhaps the Haitian National Police should go
to Florida to observe the re-count and if they are not satisfied as to the
validity of the election (or if they don't like who the people chose [that is
irony, if I haven't made it clear]) they can demand a revote.  It seems only
fair.  Is Haiti not a "friend of the USA"?

I think Haiti should sort out Haitian problems without foreign interference.
That is not easy to watch, because transition periods are by nature, messy
and rather ugly.  But if Haiti has any chance for change, it must come from
within.  If the election was a little sloppy or even had instances of bad
behavior, it is because of what happened in 1991.  When you embrace your
opposition, make sure you see both his hands.  They do not need outsiders to
understand what is going on, it is none of their business and not within the
scope of their understanding anyway.

So the point of all this comparing is this:  US STAY OUT OF HAITI'S
ELECTIONS.  And if you want to take your ball and go home.......then go.

Dorce~