6210: The Clinton letter - surely some mistake? (fwd)

From: Charles Arthur <charlesarthur@hotmail.com>

In the Reuters report we read the following:

<<PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Dec 7 (Reuters) - U.S. President Bill Clinton, who
sent troops to Haiti six years ago to restore ousted President Jean Bertrand
Aristide, has written a letter to him expressing concern over democracy
there following Aristide's re-election.

"The president cited the need for tangible steps in Haiti to build an
inclusive society around the goals of justice and rule of law," U.S. Embassy
spokesman Daniel Whitman said late on Wednesday....

...In the letter, Clinton urged Aristide to resolve Haiti's electoral
impasse stemming from tainted legislative elections held in May, Whitman
said.

"The United States together with the international community has made it
known to the Haitian authorities that their failure to address
well-documented election irregularities puts into question their commitment
to democracy," Whitman said, paraphrasing Clinton's letter.>>

On Haitionline we read the following text as read to them by phone from
their source in Washington:

<<The White House
Washington

December 1, 2000

Dear Mr. Aristide:

Just as Haiti and the United States, the two oldest republics in the western
hemisphere, have shared much in their history, yours and my public career
have been closely intertwined. Restoring democracy in your country was an
important theme in my first presidential campaign more than eight years ago;
defending the use of American forces to help you and the Haitian people
achieve that goal was a major theme in my second campaign.

In recent years, I have conveyed to you both directly and through Secretary
Albright, Sandy Berger, Tony Lake, Arthur Valenzuela, and Don Steinberg my
concerns and hopes for the direction of events in Haiti, especially with
regard to the evolution of democracy. Those have been, and remain, deeply
rooted in my personal commitment to a better future for Haiti and better
relations between our countries.

Now, as I prepare to leave office and you prepare to return. I believe we
have an opportunity to set the basis for a strengthened relationship in the
years to come. Together we must undertake tangible steps to enhance the
lives of the Haitian people and build an inclusive society around the goals
of justice and the rule of law. I know that you have put forth some
constructive ideas in this regard, and I hope you will welcome a visit from
Mr. Lake in the near future to discuss further steps. You can be sure that
the American people will stand ready to help the Haitian people in their
pursuit of democracy, prosperity, dignity, and respective place in the
international community.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton>>