6572: Re: 6563: Re: 6538 & 6527: "Haiti now" (fwd)

From: Martine Jean <alix3@hotmail.com>

Again I'm posting about a topic that seems to be very controversial on the
list: To what "extent" is the US responsible for what is happening in Haiti.

In my response to Knowles I hope I did not imply that illiteracy, lack of
electricity and other problems were caused by the US. I don't think that's
what Henrius meant either.

Many people have replied to my post on this list. SOme agreed with me. Some
did not. Both sides had interesting arguments.

J-R. Auguste in particular wrote about the Dominican Republic:"let me just
say that the Dominicans sure
>look good doing just what you wrote. And, Haitians of all ages and
>background
>emigrate/commute en masse there to find work, health care, food products"
>there.

This is a good point. Haitians do emigrate en masse to the Dominican
Republic to find what they can't get in their own country. Haitians emigrate
to other countries as well. Haitians are all over the world now; that's why
it's so common that the word Diaspora is so common in our vocabulary. Many
Haitians on this list are not in Haiti.

However, Dominicans emigrate just as Haitians do. In 1997, (if I'm quite
sure) the US reported that nineteen thousands Dominicans had immigrated in
the United States (these are the legal ones). And they also emigrate to
Puerto Rico, this "avant-gout" of the United States. How do we explain that?

Finally, like I said before, this seems to be a very controversial issue,
discussing to what "extent" the US is responsible to what is going on in
Haiti. I don't want to pursue it because it's full of emotions both from the
part of Haitians and non-Haitians. I don't think that we would "save" Haiti
from her "pitiful" state despite our "magnanimous" intentions by elaborating
theses about her situation. THe people in Haiti, those that have no
electricity, no food and no health care don't care. All they want is to have
a voice in the running of their country. THey want their vote to be
recognized. THey want to define their own democracy not one imported from
the "democratic world" of the north.

SOme people have agreed with my answer to Knowles. Some have not. I
appreciate all response.