6723: Powell/Aristide (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

Though Powell's comments are not antagonistic they are by no means committing
him to a relationship. I'ld say the comments were diplomatic. Powell mentions
getting the economy started. Well that means investment. There is nothing
that has happened during the last six Lavalas years that is going to attract
investment, e.g. violent street demonstrations, the killing of political
opponents, or the sudden closing or ports and airports and product being held
up in customs.  I recently heard a story about an NGO that got phone lines by
paying a couple of folks from City Soleil a thousand dollars for each line.
Is this part of privatization, Lavalas style? I personally have been openly
threatened on the radio by Lavalas government officials, I've been forced
into situations by Lavalas government officials where people around me were
killed and absolutely no reaction or compensation from the government.
This is not an economic or investment climate and just because an 8 point
letter is signed doesn't prove any good intent by Lavalas.
Powell also mentioned Democracy. Is there Deomocracy in Haiti? A president
can  fire the parliament just because its a conveniant thing to do?
The words "narco trafficking" are often  on the lips of of prominent
Republican officials. After six years in power are there any visible signs of
a war on narco trafficking?
Haitian masses may like Aristide but they also like an American way of life.
That is a paradox. The boat people aren't flocking to Cuba. They're trying to
get to Miami. They're not flocking to totalitarian governments,  they're
going to free markets, infrastructure and job opportunities. If I need a
phone, one call to the phone company should do it, not hunting around Cite
Soleil looking for the right contact.
  I love the fact that the Haitian people have expressed their desire for
Aristide to return a third time, now can he navigate and negotiate the
terrain? Does he think its his turn to replace the deposed Haitian army and
their totalitarian sentiments or does he understand that it is time for
change? What I have seen in the last six years do not indicate that he
understands the correct path, but I'm a patient man. I'm not going anywhere.
And, even if these problems aren't resolved now, thats why we have children
and grandchildren. If a priest can have children, it means he can change his
ways.  As Mozeb likes to say, we're going to be here for a while.

Richard Morse