6923: Re: 6919: Cult of the personality (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 02/06/2001 12:00:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com writes:

<< There are many large signs around the country with large pictures of
Aristide
 and the slogan "la pe nan tet, lape nan vant". Seeing these large pictures
of
 the next president got me to thinking back to 1987 when people were debating
 issues of the new constitution. So I searched for a copy of the constitution
 and started reading till I got to Article 7 and it states: "The cult of the
 personality is categorically forbidden. Effigies and names of living
 personages may not appear on the currency, stamps, seals, public buildings,
 streets or works of art." >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Are these signs left over from the recent elections?  That was Aristide's
campaign slogan, if I am not mistaken.  And the Article in the constitution
dealing with the cult of personality was no doubt an effort to ensure that
there will be no more "Duvaliervilles" and I forget all the street names with
dates significant to Pere et Fil Duvalier.  I am not sure who is more victim
to seeing Aristide as a cult of personality, the masses who love him or his
enemies who revile him.  Perhaps those who keep calling it that, should step
back from the man and look at the message.  Who else is sending the same
message?  I would love to hear some names of people who would serve all of
Haiti well and not just the top 10% (and that's being generous).  Try
criticizing the issues and not the man for a minute, it's good exercise.

Kathy Dorce~