Re: Stars of Dogtown: Phyllis Diller: LaVergne comments

From: LaVergneMc@aol.com

Phyllis lived in Webster, off of Lockwood,  and when I worked (in the late
50's, early 60's) at Webster Groves Trust, that is where she banked.  I used
to see her at the Bettendorf's in Webster (now Schnucks) and I  still
remember the first time I saw her there. She  was wearing a skirt  and button
down sweater, looking like all the other women shopping there, but she had
her left hand up on the butcher case.  She had a ring on her hand that was
unreal.  I was standing next to her and noticed the ring (and anyone who
knows me would believe that in a second) and then looked at the person and
here it was Phyllis Diller.  She was soft spoken and pleasant.  Did nothing
to draw attention to herself.
At that same store, I often saw Charlotte Peters who lived not far away  in
Glendale and when I would see her, she was always an upbeat, super person.  I
had known her from St. James, she lived in the l500 block of Gregg and I
lived in the 1400 block of Graham Street.  But it was always interesting to
me the difference in Phyllis and Charlotte's personna away from the
spotlight.  Charlotte was always full of life and when I think of her I think
of how wonderful she was when her husband, Willie, was ill and the love and
devotion that she showed.  It was moving.
That store also had another noted person as a customer, Clarissa Start, who
write the garden column.  She is the same if you see her at the Botanical
Garden or an antique show, always pleasant.

LaVergne McEvoy Lee
Class of 42