7014: Re: 6999: Fanmi Lavalas Govt Plan: The Policies (fwd)

From: Moibibi@aol.com

>  6999:  Fanmi Lavalas Govt Plan:  The Policies

My thanks to MKarshan for keeping us informed.

I had to read the twenty pages outlining President Aristide's plans for Haiti
to find the name of vodou (non capitalized) mentioned just a single time. It
says:

"The country two languages as well as vodou constitute strong signs of this
(sic) people's ability to break its chains and reach the heights of
creation." (post 6999, the Policies)

When Vodoun is reduced to signs or to a sign related to the French language
that is still ignored by at least 85% of our population, to me, it is
ignoring the fundamentals and the soul of the population that President
Aristide pretends to love so much and to care for.

It, probably, explains why, in the passage entitled

"The Organization's (capitalized) policy in this sector revolves around the
following axis:"

 Vodoun was never mentioned again. Nevertheless, as an optimist person, I
could consider the second point as addressed to Vodoun.

"2. The conservation, protection and valorization of the patrimony and
cultural traditions;"

I see such an "axis" in 2001, at the beginning of a new government, as the
same political attitude that prevailed under the Duvalier's regimes. Vodoun
was seen as our folklore, it was never to be considered as a religion;  it
was just our patrimony! Those words had to be employed to please our
benefactors, Haiti could not be seen as a country were Vodoun was recognized
and I am deeply saddened at the idea that there is nothing new at the
horizon.

Benin, from whom we got an important part of our tradition, has recognized
Vodoun as their religion. Vodoun is represented in their parliament. Do we
still look upon the countries of Africa as countries of savages? Whatever! In
Haiti, we, Vodouists,  are still segregated to the back seat of our tap-taps.
The Haitian government is still ashamed of who the majority of the Haitian
people are.

In reality, Vodoun is the religion of the Haitian people, the system of
creeds that gives the country its identity. What do we have to be so ashamed
of? Vodou never started any war to convert anyone, Vodoun has existed for
milleniums and it teaches its initiates to be proud of whom they are, it
teaches moral values, it provides natural medicine to the sick that cannot
afford modern medicine and much more. What is wrong with that?

As long as Vodouists are not recognized within their religion, are denied
existence in their own country and fundamental human rights, democracy
remains a vain word.

Bébé Pierre Louis