7495: Re: 7430: question on Haitian hip hop (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

Hi,
  I think the Fugees, with Wyclef and Pras where the first rap group to
proudly extol its Haitianness. Before them there were other rap groups with
rumored Haitian or Haitian-Americans members. One of the members of De La
Soul is said to be Haitian American, probably because he has a french
surname. There was also the Fu-Schnickens(sp.?)who reached their height of
popularity when Shaquille O'Neal was a guest rapper on one of their joints
around 1994 or 1995. From my own reflection of growing up in Brooklyn and
Miami, there were a lot of Haitian kids trying to get involved in
rap/hip-hop, but few tried to do it from a distinctly haitian perspective.
                              hopes this helps,
                                    Constantin