7559: Danny Toussaint's response to the IAPA (it's hot!) (fwd)

From: patrick sylvain <sylvaipa@hotmail.com>

Hi folks, I heading to a conference and do not have the time to translate
this "extraordinary" response that Danny Toussaint sent to Arana after her
critical report on the Jean-Dominique's case. As you are all aware, so far,
all the roads lead to Rome. And Danny is presumably the Emperor.  In the
response below, which I may remark is in a perfect French that Mr..
Toussaint has never uttered. Matter of fact, when ever he is questioned in
French he always responded in Haitian. Furthermore, for those of you who are
familiar with rhetoric and rebuttal technique will notice a close level of
professionalism in his response. Which means, that there is another author
behind this text. Those of you who would like to translate it, have fun and
thanks in advance.

The basic premises of his contentions (beside a systematic rejection of her
claims) are:
1. As a professional military person, he always held the highest esteem for
journalists.
2. He questions how such a serious and respectable organization such as the
IAPA could undermine its professionalism by publishing such vile and
unfounded report.
3. He also questions her objectivity absent of the fact that she did not
contact him.
4. He took apart her contentions that he is Machiavelique in his deeds and
that she had no capacity to read what is on a man?s heart and therefor
Lavalas had no problem with Domique.  Beside, under Preval, Dominique was
recognized as major figure to the point they (the Lavalassien) named the
Darbonne Sugar Mills after Jn-D.
5. He mentions or tries to link Dominique?s death to the American Embassy
for, apparently, Dominique was extremely critical of the U.S.?s policies as
well as critical of certain organizations such as the IRI and USAID. He also
questions her on the fact that Phillipe Mackington could be a professional
killer.
6. He also refutes her claim that his popularity his link to criminal acts.
On the contrary, it is his honesty and good deeds that made him so popular
and unfortunately, that same popularity is being used against him.
7. In light of her accusation and associating with gangsters, she has to
keep in mind that while he was chief of police, security reigned in the
country.
8. Her defamation is irreparable and that he expects some form of public
apology.
9. He is waiting the end of this unfortunate affair, for he wants to live
with a clear conscience.

I hope those highlights are helping a bit. Have fun deconstructing his
counter-arguement and perhaps we should go back to Arana's report and
analyze the major point. The truth is somewhere between the lines.

Have fun and as always, in hope of Democracy and peace

Patrick

Port-au-Prince, le 27 mars 2001

Madame Ana ARANA

Inter-American Press Association (IAPA)