7571: RE: 7545: Re: 7432: Usefulness of spring break trips to Haiti ( fwd) (fwd)

From: "Hoover, Julie H." <Hoover@pbworld.com>

Of course we all want to promote the self sufficiency of the Haitian people,
rather than dependency on food programs, etc.  However, to condemn college
students who are motivated to help children in orphanages and hospitals is
going way too far in pushing this agenda, I think.  There are no foreseeable
short-term solutions so why not welcome and appreciate those who simply want
to alleviate the suffering of children?  Also, any hook to get well-meaning
people interested in Haiti is useful-- they may in time develop a more
serious interest and become involved in more progressive actions.  Finally,
I seriously doubt that these college students are motivated by a "white
man's burden"--probably some are African-American.  I think they just want
to help and this is they only way they know of.  Do we really want to take
responsibility for denying poor children in orphanages and hospitals of
toys, clothing, and some sorely-needed attention because it's not  entirely
"politically correct" in our view of the situation?