7575: Please post the following anonymously 7550:Re:7523Prophesied Kabilasation (fwd)

I have some information about the Stanley Lucas IRI interview on the radio
talk show, Haiti Focus. He was asked by host Harry Joseph to do a
comparative analysis on situations around the world similar to Haiti and
what could be the effects of anarchy and the absence of the rule of law in a
country.  He was also asked about the ways that people seek democracy during
a time of internal crisis and what could be the end results.

Lucas's answer in creole was the following:

A similar crisis occurred in the Dominican Republic in 1994. President
Balaguer organized fraudulent elections which the opposition and civil
society would not swallow. They protested around the country. President
Balaguer and Pena Gomez, the leaders of the opposition, started a dialogue
and negotiations. As a result, they signed a political agreement. Balaguer
shortened his mandate, called for early elections, and hired a non-partisan
electoral body. Balaguer respected the agreement, as did Pena Gomez, and now
democracy is flourishing in the Dominican Republic.

Haiti can also look at what happened in Peru and Yugoslavia. President
Milosevic of Yugoslavia and President Fujimori of Peru wanted to impose
fraudulent election results on their people. In Peru, the international
community called for negotiations to find a solution to the crisis. In the
end the people of both countries mobilized and got what they wanted: the
organization of free and fair elections and results that reflect what they
voted for.

In countries where there is dictatorship, anarchy, and no rule of law,
anything can happen without the accountability that democracy usually
provides. Look what happened to Congolese President Kabila. When you don't
have democracy and the rule of law, and when you have anarchy, anything can
happen. That's why IRI always supports dialogue, negotiations, free and fair
elections and the respect for democratic principles.

Haiti began its democratic process at the same time as the Philippines after
Marcos's departure in February 1986. But when you compare the two countries
today, they are on two different tracks. Fifteen years later, the democratic
institutions of the Philippines are so strong that they were able to
democratically impeach a President for wrong doing. Whereas Haiti, fifteen
years later, is still at the same point of departure.

This is what I recalled about Lucas's statement during the interview. I hope
that I contributed to the debate. Thank you.