7600: Allen to Hoover RE;posting # 7558 (fwd)

From: JAALLEN181@aol.com

    From Joseph A. Allen;  JAAllen181@aol.com
    Subj:  Answer to Hoover.  Posting # 7558

    The reason charges of corruption and illicit gains are still hurled at
Aristide is partly because he has failed to comply with some provisions of
the Haitian Constitution mandating financial disclosures by incoming and
outgoing presidents.
    Had president Aristide complied with our laws, we would have had in the
public records, reports on his finances in 1990, 1995 and 2000.  This could
have been helpful in assessing Aristide's honesty or lack thereof.  Mr.
Aristide may have complied in 1990, but to my knowledge he never submitted
the Financial DIsclosure forms in 1995 upon leaving office and in 2000.  How
he could run for office without complying with the law is still a mistery.
    The disclosure laws were designed to protect the country against abuses
by corrupt politicians and to help the honest ones against the attacks that
have outraged Ms. Hoover.  It is time for Aristide's supporters to judge him
by his actions and not by his stated intentions.  Recently a member of the
list suggested that she was sure Mr. Aristide thought of himself as a
democrat; to which I reply: no matter what he feels, it is important for us
to make this observation based on facts not promises. By not complying with
the laws Mr. Aristide gives the impression he needs to hide his assets, which
he would need to hide only if they were acquired illegally.  For someone who
talks so often about transparency to be so opaque about the most basic
questions regarding the provenance of his wealth is puzzling.
    We are not talking about denying Aristide the right to be wealthy;
however, the manner by which he became rich should be the business of every
Haitian the minute he decided to lead us in building a just society where the
rule of law  prevails.  By  not complying with the laws, the president
invites all sorts of wild speculations. If the charges are without merit,
they will be exposed by the past due disclosures.
    Mr. Aristide's work for the poor is well documented, and is not in
question here. He has so far done more for kids through his various
organizations than most of us will do in a lifetime. The moral standing he
gained through his hard work still does not entitle him to have "Carte
Blanche" and dictate to the rest of us what kind of democracy he will provide
and when he should provide it.
     Please Ms. Hoover let us not use the word Sacrilege when Mr. Aristide is
rightfully or even wrongfully attacked. After all, he is no longer a
religious figure or the messiah; he is a Haitian politician among many. This
may be the case of a very promising star, as we have seen it throughout our
history, which will just not deliver. Don't despair if you get disappointed
once more by a Haitian politician; that is precisely what we have been doing
for two full Centuries!

    Joseph A. Allen DDS
    Miami, FL