7894: Re: 7842: Re: 7810: Ayiti Quisqueya Boyo (fwd)

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

I do not have my notes with me (there are half-way across the United
States), but it was the board of geographical names, I beleived controlled
by the United States, that decided in the 1930s under pressure from the
Trujillo government to call the island of Haiti, Hispaniola. In 1804, the
independence of the whole island was proclaimed by Dessalines since the
whole island was under French control at that time. French dictionaries
and encyclopedias refer to the island of Haiti subdivided into the
Republique de [sic] Haiti (this in itself deserves a post and a
discussion) and the Dominican Republic.