7997: Re: 7990: Haitian Vodou (Re: 7989 & 7988) (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< I must admit that I know very little about Vodou, and so I very much
appreciate Bon Mambo Racine Sans Bout Sa Te La Daginen taking her time to
educate others about it.>>

Thank you for taking the time to read!  :-)

 <<Voudou has to be theologically contradictory to Roman Catholic or other
Christian practices since the Catholic / Christian church recognizes but one
God and, as I understand it, Voudou honors gods [lwa] other than that of the
Catholic or Christian church.>>

No.  It is a common misperception that we are polytheistic, when in fact we
are not, we are monotheists who believe in one God, whom we consider to be
the same God as the Christians worship.  After all, how many "one Gods" could
there be?

The lwa are lesser entities, aspects of God or sometimes historical
personalities, personifications of natural forces, or other creations of God.

<<Why is it that The Lord's Prayer, the Hail Mary, and the Apostles' Creed are
 said in a Voudou ceremony?>>

Because we believe in God, and to establish an atmosphere of sanctity.

<<How can being Catholic or otherwise Christian not be theologically
contradictory to Voudou, since Catholicism / Christianity recognizes but one
Omnipotent God? >>

See above.  Most Haitian Vodouisants are also Catholics, and although the
Roman Catholic church may have a problem with that we do not.  Vodouisants
are more theologically advanced than Christians, in my opinion.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html