14010: Senou: A call for a Haitian Solution (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

A call for a Haitian Solution

I did not believe in my lifetime seeing the Haitian
people voting in a presidential election. This had
been done in 1990. First time in the world, the people
in a third world country had put in office their
favorite candidate.
	Haiti had one more time astonished the world. It was
a surprise to many when this Black Country had
declared its independence in 1804. We indeed had
dismantled the slavery in the world. And we are the
only country in the world to help other nations
becoming independent in the 19th century.  The sons
and daughters of this great nation shall forever be
proud of these great accomplishments.
	There will be Democracy in Haiti, but it is a
challenge. It has taken 60 years before many powerful
nations in the world recognizing our independence; we
one more time had created enemies for organizing the
first free election in the world.
	1804 and 1990 are two key dates to remember. And
these make the world jealous of us. My friends, in
1804 Haiti had crossed the point of no return, no
matter what the slavery system is dead; in 1990
Haitians had voted for a president; no one can ever
today or tomorrow put a governor in Haiti. You know
your people and you know what they will and won’t
accept.
It is unfortunate that a large percentage of the
population is still illiterate; therefore, it is
difficult to adapt to the new environment and
understand what democracy is about. In a democracy all
views must be respected from extreme right to extreme
left, the rights of the individual must be respected
as well as the rights to protest peacefully against
the policy or action by the government.
I do not believe the inevitable (Civil war) will take
place, I first raised that issue 18 years ago, for the
following reasons: no one wants to be responsible for
causing an invasion from our neighbor, no one wants to
be responsible for a foreign country to invade Haiti
and Celebrate its 200 years of freedom as an occupied
country, and no one wants to be responsible for
preventing Haiti from capitalizing in its Bicentennial
Celebration.
I strongly believe the situation is going to get worst
but the Haitian people will get their act together at
the last minute for the benefit of the country. The
resolution 822 may have serious flows and it did not
take into consideration the seriousness of the
situation, it is important to review it and make some
adjustments. The resolution 822 is taboo. It has
called for an early election and the people who are
really affected the Parliamentary did not vote. We are
talking about democracy on paper according the Haitian
constitution there are three independent power in
Haiti: the Executive, Legislative and Judiciary. The
government has the right to negotiate foreign policy
but any implementation must be approved by the
congress.
Resolution 822 was imposed, it was not a negotiated
solution; therefore, it cannot be implemented.
What is the role of OAS? As far as I know that
organization was playing a mediating role if so that
organization did not live to its promise. Therefore
Resolution 822 is taboo. OAS had overstepped its
authority and it had created more confusion.
OAS can go back and pass its resolution; however, as
long as the parties in conflict do not take part in
it, it is going to be another resolution. I taught
Conflict Resolution for one year, I have not recalled
seeing a mediator imposing a solution.

Now forget about OAS; Haitian people shall be able to
negotiate and find a Haitian Solution. Lavalas and
Convergence must negotiate a political Solution.
No election shall be held until a political compromise
is reached.   Ok, let organized an election today,
another one next month, or next year. Will these
problems go away? My answer is No. Therefore, it is
inappropriate to take a road that won’t take us
anywhere.
Folks put everything on the table; check out the
status of the country and do what would be in the
interest of the country. Those of you who are going to
say that we have to rely only on the constitution,
show me anywhere in the constitution where one can
shorten the term of the legislative branch? Oops! My
friends, it is about time to face the truth and the
reality on the field. Do you want the situation of
Haiti remains as it is for the next three years?
If there is a compromise solution the power should not
be shifted to the Convergence and shall not remain in
the hand of the Lavalas.
A strong coalition government shall take control of
Haiti for a long period without a president since
Haitian everywhere has a problem with president even
those who had changed their nationality want to be
president: c’est la rage. We need to put some
structure in place prior organizing a general
election.

Senou