14083: Lyall on"Inaccurate news" and analysis (fwd)

From: J.David <his_voidness@yahoo.com>

Well, this analysis requires further comment.

It seems to slide around the truth. The OPL did hold
the parliament, but was never the "government".
Rene Preval was president and tried to keep the country
on an even keel without a government for close to two
years, as I recall.
(I am not looking anything up, just recalling events as I
have seen them)

Then Preval sent the parliament home when their terms expired.
That was the best thing done here in a very long time.

The police  forces were controlled by the palace (some say,
from Tabarre) during the whole of Prevals presidency.

So, the OPL was clearly never "in power". THey spent all
their time whining about the previous election and trying
to get their terms extended.

Sound familiar?

 >From Charles Arthur:
>
> The number of inaccuracies in news reports about Haiti beggars
> belief. Here
> is the latest one  - or the latest one that I have noticed...that
> appeared in
> The Miami Herald on Wed, Dec. 04, 2002.
>
> FACT: Aristide's party - the Lavalas Family did not exist until late
> 1996 and
> did not hold any elected positions in the Parliament until after the
> general
> elections held in May 2000.
>
> If any party was 'in power' between 1995 and 2000, it was the OPL -
> formerly
> the Lavalas Political Organisation and, since 1996 known as the
> Struggling
> People's Organisation. If the OPL was ever Aristide's party, it
> certainly
> stopped being that in 1996 - why else would Aristide have formed a
> new party?

=====
J. David Lyall,
http://www.lyalls.net/