14098: Slavin on Capote's "House of Flowers" (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

Charles,

Thank you for your query on Truman Capote's short story "House of Flowers."
It was, indeed, set in Haiti and I believe it can be found in Capote's book
of travel writings, "The Dogs Bark" (any guesses if he came up with that
title while trying to fall asleep in Suite 15 at the Oloffson?). "House of
Flowers" was set at the Thor 10  bordello, the Flamingo, and its owner,
Mme. Georgette Jean-Charles, was also a great influence on Capote --
although I don't think Truman was there for the girls. As I've written
before on Corbettlandia, the famous bordello scenes in "The Comedians" were
also set at the Flamingo.

What's also been forgotten about "House of Flowers" was its run as a
Broadway musical in 1954. From theatermania.com:
"With music by Arlen and book and lyrics by Capote, House of Flowers opened
on December 30, 1954 at the Alvin Theatre -- now the Neil Simon -- and ran
for only 165 performances. It starred Pearl Bailey, Diahann Carroll (in her
Broadway debut), Juanita Hall, and Miriam Burton, and the largely black
cast also included Geoffrey Holder, Alvin Ailey, Arthur Mitchell, and Ray
Walston [Slavin adds: wow]. Set on a tropical West Indies island during a
Mardi Gras weekend, the musical tells the tale of a fierce competition
between two brothels." theatermania.com also reports that a performance of
the score from  House of Flowers will be performed  at NYC's City Center
from February 13-16.

http://www.theatermania.com/news/tmnews/index.cfm?story=2730&cid=1

Patrick
Did you know that buying UNICEF Cards and Gifts helps to save children's
lives? To find out how you can help, please click on the link below.
http://www.unicefusa.org/cards