14253: Hermantin: Plas Kamoken (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Today, I made my yearly much anticipated trek to "Plas Kamoken" where a
dozen or so women set up shop during the week preceeding the New Year
selling every single vegetable needed to make the traditional "Soup Joumon".
  Plas Kamoken, an empty field across the street from Cayard Market in
Miami's Little Haiti, comes alive with the sounds and smells that harken me
back to a place and time that I can no longer define. The sing song chants
of Haitian women, hawking their stuff in Creole beckoning, cajoling
potential customers to come and get that "perfect" joumon, "Men
Towo,mezanmi, Men towo-a", the customary back and forth exchanges between
buyers and sellers....what a treat!

Since I can't cook I still have to beg someone to help me prepare my soup
joumon. But even if the leeks, and potatoes and beur chalonet remain iddle
in my frig tonight, my little trip to Plas Kamoken was a treat that even
lousy cooks like myself should not miss.

Happy New Year to All

Leonie

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup