14431: (Arthur) Proposed message from the Minister of Tourism of the Republic of Haiti (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

(source : Caribbean Tourism Organisation)

Proposed message from the Minister of Tourism of the Republic of Haiti on the
occasion of  Caribbean Tourism Day, November 5th, 2002

People, Brothers of the Caribbean and Tourism partners

On the occasion of our Caribbean Tourism Day to be celebrated under the
theme: " Tourism, a tool for sustainable development "

We, in Haiti, are pleased to be part of this celebration which offers new
opportunities to the Caribbean Region given the positive benefits it stands
to gain from a tourism respectful of our culture, our environment and our
fragile ecosystem.

Moreover, the theme " Tourism, a tool for sustainable development " speaks to
the active involvement of local communities for the conservation of the
environmental assets of the ecosystem and for the socio-cultural integrity of
the host communities.

In this respect, we need to see this event as an opportunity to put the
citizens of each of our Caribbean islands at the centre of our concerns. We
must reflect on the role that each and everyone of us has to play in order
for tourism to become a valuable tool for sustainable development.

Priority must be given to inter-regional cooperation in our development
policies. This will promote a better understanding and will strengthen the
historical and cultural linkages that bind us together.

I take the opportunity to remind you that beginning next year, we will begin
the observance of the Bicentennial of Haiti's Independence, a historical
highlight that brought about the creation of the First Black State in the
World. Two hundred years ago, this unique event put the Caribbean Region in
the limelight and in History for its fight for human rights, focal point of
the sustainable development of the tourism sector.

This event, which has changed the course of humanity's history will, in 2004,
make the entire Caribbean region and particularly the Republic of Haiti a
must see tourism destination. Therefore, we must take this opportunity to put
in place programmes for 'paths of knowledge' which highlight this part of the
history of our Region that goes beyond the Republic of Haiti and associates
all the islands of the Caribbean.

On this Caribbean Tourism Day, I encourage you, people of the Caribbean, to
work relentlessly, and in solidarity, toward the prosperity of each of our
fellow countrymen and I urge you, as well as our guests, to share and to
relive with the Haitian people this page of history which will remain opened
on April 7th, 2003, date of the Remembrance of the Bicentennial of the death
of Toussaint Louverture, Haitian Hero of universal dimension, who has written
the first chapter of this great epic of the black people.

        Martine DEVERSON    Minister of Tourism of the Republic of Haiti

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.