14442: Burnham to Monsieur Du Tuyau re: "Zombi Checks..." (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

>From Thor Burnham Oh Boy:

Dear Monsieur Du Tuyau:

This is a direct quote from the Zmag article by Clara James just recently
posted here. [by me, which should now be obvious to everyone] ;)
Oh well, the articles speak for themselves.

Quote:
"The gang leaders—some call them “crowd brokers”—are paid “zombi” checks
from state businesses like the telephone company or work at the National
Palace as “aides.” When warm bodies are needed, money is distributed in a
pattern now so well-known that street thugs do not hesitate to show a
well-placed journalist their checks. The prime minister even made a
reference to it after two well-known brokers—with very close ties to
Aristide—took to the airwaves in September to announce a “movement” to force
him from office. His predecessor exited in much the same way only a few
months earlier"

Monsieur Du Tuyau, I was curious as to your reaction to this piece. The fact
that protesters are being paid by Lavalas is no secret to anyone in Haiti,
except maybe a few people on this list. And, as has been noted by a previous
post, Lavalas certainly hasn't cornered the market on the "rent a crowd"
approach.  But it sure is interesting to note the term "zombi check" being
used to describe the process of registration for paid protesting. How do you
read this? Is it just part of the game and to be ignored, or is it part of a
deeper problem? Is it really a problem? If it is, how to address it?

As someone here has explained to me they are called "zombi checks" because
they are written out to people who have retired from the company, are dead,
or simply used to work there. The protesters then use fake identity cards to
cash the checks. But, i guess it's old news.

best,
Thor Burnham