14499: Edouard -News-Deep Concern at Lack of Progress Toward OAS Resolution (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

Deep Concern at Lack of Progress Toward OAS Resolution
State Department, 2003-01-16

ADDRESS BY U.S. Delegation
OAS PERMANENT COUNCIL MEETING- HAITI SITUATION

Washington, DC

January 16, 2003

The U.S. delegation notes with regret that we are no closer to a resolution
of the political crisis than we were in early November, when the Permanent
Council last discussed Haiti. Indeed, in some important respects, we are
even farther away. The Government of Haiti continues to show little
substantive progress in meeting its commitments under Resolution 822, and a
provisional electoral council was not formed despite a fifteen-day extension
period. Meanwhile, attacks on opposition demonstrations by
government-supported gangs, protest strikes against the government, and
escalating political rhetoric have created a situation in which
confrontation is replacing dialogue.

We are deeply concerned about this turn of events. We fear that
confrontation and polarization will increase unless current trends are
reversed. We emphasize that there is one way, and one way only, to break out
of this impasse – President Aristide and his government must find the
courage and political will to lead Haiti toward free and fair elections
under the process laid out in Resolution 822.

In practical terms, such leadership means that the Government of Haiti must
reaffirm the viability of Resolution 822 and begin to meet its commitments
under the Resolution. By meeting its commitments, the Government of Haiti
will instill in the opposition the confidence it needs for meaningful
participation in elections. At the same time, the opposition must show
flexibility and be prepared to react constructively once a more secure
environment is created that is conducive to fair elections. But make no
mistake about it – the Government of Haiti has the primary responsibility to
create the preconditions for free and fair elections. It can meet this
responsibility by fulfilling its Resolution 822 commitments.

Under the Resolution, the OAS created mandates for the Special Mission that
were designed to assist the government in meeting its commitments. The
Special Mission needs financial support to fulfill its mandates. It has
received some financial support from the international community, including
$1.6 million from the U.S. and contributions from other countries. The
Canadian government has just announced an additional, major contribution in
the amount of two million Canadian dollars, which is a positive step
forward. These contributions will go a long way toward strengthening the
Special Mission, but unfortunately we cannot rest there. Further financial
support for the Special Mission is needed. We commend Brazil and the Holy
See for their contributions.

We have been encouraged by the position put forward recently by a
broad-based group of 184 civil society groups which urged the government to
take short-term steps to begin the process of fully implementing Resolution
822. This is an opportunity for the government to demonstrate its commitment
to 822 and re-engage in confidence-building efforts. Virtually all the
measures the 184 organizations are seeking reflect in whole or in part
actions to which the Government of Haiti is already committed under
Resolution 822. We urge the Government of Haiti to act on these measures and
to undertake immediately a dialogue with civil society leaders on moving the
process forward. We understand that civil society leaders laid down January
15 as a deadline for the government to address their concerns. We call on
these civil society leaders to welcome any dialogue the government
initiates, to continue to pursue a course of dialogue and compromise, and to
refrain from confrontation.

Resolution 822 represents consensus on the part of Haiti and the
international community about the best way to resolve the political crisis.
Neither Haiti, nor the inter-American community, nor the international
community as a whole, can afford to abandon the process laid out in the
Resolution. Full compliance is crucial to create the conditions for free and
fair elections. But time is running out – the Government of Haiti must act
now: first to meet commitments under Resolution 822 and then to form the CEP
in accordance with the process laid out in the Draft Initial Accord. Any
other CEP - a CEP that is not credible, neutral, and independent - a CEP
that does not represent a broad spectrum of political interests in Haiti –
will doom elections to failure as a true expression of popular will. To put
it more bluntly – if there is no credible CEP, there can be no credible
elections.

The U.S. government will not support elections in Haiti unless they are
free, fair, and reflect the will of the people. Essential preconditions for
such elections are an improved climate of security and a CEP formed in
accordance with Resolution 822 and the Draft Initial Accord.

As my delegation has said before, time is running out. But it is not too
late. My delegation urges the Government of Haiti to act, and to act today.