14724: LeGrace Re: 14542: Corbett: Early Monday gift: 60 page life of Marie-Louise Christophe (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Last August in the Goldene Adler in Innsbruck, I stayed down the hall from
some rooms one occupied by famous wayfarers such as Mozart, Goethe, and
Koenegin Marie-Louise von Haiti. The staff knew about the others, but Queen
Marie-Louise was a mystery to them.  I think she is a bit of a mystery to
Mr. Waterman who in his entertaining story continues any number of myths
about King Henry and his family. As long as the story is read as historic
fiction, fine.  I hope some historian with access to more data and with
patience will piece together a whole story of this unusual woman, clearly a
figure worthy to be remembered in the 2004 celebrations.
[Concerning some of the mythology: I have seen a painting done some time
after but probably not long after the death of Christophe that shows him
expiring in his study, surrounded by soldiers with upraised sabers.
Interesting?According to those familiar in detail with the architecture of
Sans Souci, the artist had to have been well acquainted with the palace.]