14736: jmazzeo: RE: 14727: Moynihan: solar cookers (fwd)

From: jmazzeo@email.arizona.edu

I was around to see solar cookers experimented with in Le Borgne (Oboy) to
make rice. We used a make-it-yourself kind (cheap and easy) that probobly
isn't as effective as the professional-style ones. My impressions were that
people thought it was completely wierd and would never provide the necessary
power to really cook thier food correctly. In part they were right. But,
I also feel that people felt that kind of fuel used (solar vs. charcoal)
and the "quality" of cooked food obtained are related (maybe not only related
to maximum temperature). I also noticed that none of the women who tried
the solar cookers would even think of serving the solar-cooked food to their
men.

John Mazzeo
University of Arizona
John Mazzeo