14747: O'Brien: new novel introducing a Haitian-American detective (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mmcpeob@earthlink.net>

Dr. Joseph Bentivegna, author of "The Neglected and Abused: A Physician's
Year in Haiti," has written a novel, "The Lords of Greenwich," introducing
Haitian-American detective Pierre Appollon.  The description reads:
"Depressed and broke, mechanic Bob Dusza is looking to move to a better
neighborhood and a more secure future.  So when his ophthalmologist offers
him a way to make thousands of dollars by scamming the Bridgeport jai alai
fronton, he grabs it.  Unfortunately the owner, Greenwich billionaire
Malcolm Rummel, unearths the plot.  Then Dusza ends up dead.  Detective
Pierre Apollon is trying to solve the case, but he can't even figure out
how Dusza died, let alone who killed him.  But as he gets close, he becomes
enmeshed in the corrupt underside of Connecticut politics--where money
talks and the wealthy walk."

Dr. Bentivegna indicates that the main character, Detective Pierre
Appollon, projects a positive image, an image not always seen of Haitians
in the popular media.

The book is available from amazon.com.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of
the book either as a detective novel or as an attempt to portray Haitians
in a more positive light, but I thought that list members would be
interested in knowing of its existence.

Martha O'Brien